August 1, 2023

Love flows from . . .

 

Lately I’ve wondered: Since we are saved by grace through faith and not by our own efforts, why do some pastors and writers of devotions and even people in the pews judge a person’s salvation by what they do? Some of it comes across as, “If you are a Christian, then act like one.” Some of it sounds more like, “If you want to be a Christian then you need to live this way.”

That second admonition isn’t necessarily about salvation, yet to an unsaved person, it can sound like it as if legalism or law-keeping is demanded for someone to be saved. Legalism, the attempt to merit favor with God by good works is not faith but salvation by works. When I hear anything that sounds like a “you must do this” my ears begin to sting for I have reached a place where I know that nothing I do, apart from Christ or the enabling power of the Holy Spirit, has any eternal value. Even that which is done in faith is motivated and accomplished because of the Lord who does the work:

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. (Colossians 2:6–7)

Today’s devotional says, “Let all that you do be done in love” (1 Corinthians 16:14) and “The more you love God, the less you will sin.” That may be true, but to love God more, I need to more fully realize how much He loves me! Anything He wants is motivated by Him.

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (1 Corinthians 11:27–32)

Sin ruins our lives. This passage says discernment is vital because seeing our sin helps us escape judgment, yet I am released from the destructive power of sin by His work to convict me of it, not by my self-effort to work harder or do better. Before anything else, I need to confess and repent. Love cannot flow until that happens.

Not only that, love is impossible unless I am fully aware and set free by God’s love for me. I’m aware that it is possible to say this is true yet not really know it. I could be trying to gain or earn love in other ways. No one can truly love others if their own ‘love bin’ feels empty. Just saying God loves me is not the same as deeply knowing it.

I also realize that God makes me super-sensitive to sin. Along with my desire to always do my best (pride?) this can be a combination to which legalism appeals. I need to be set free by gospel truth before I can love others. Some Christians are less sensitive and not too worried about doing well. These may need that “if you are a Christian, act like it” but I need “you are a Christian because God has done this for you” messages!

PRAY: Jesus, I know that love is my highest calling and the greatest contribution I can make to others. I also know that You love me without any reason on my part. This love is about who You are, not who I am, nor my value, nor based on what I do. That incredible love sets me free to not be anxious about anything, not worried about “what will people think?” and certainly not “what will God think?” I don’t need to fall apart thinking I’ve lost Your affection by something I’ve done or not done. Knowing this makes love for others possible and unconditional because it is about who I am, rather than what they are or do. I am a loved daughter of God!

PONDER: When I fall short on loving others, is it because I’m not fully understanding the love God has for me? Think about that. If it is true, I need to focus on God, not my performance, so I can love like He loves.

 

 

 

No comments: