August 14, 2023

Responding to evil . . .

 

Because I fear steep places without guard rails, this illustration in today’s reading deeply touches me. MacArthur writes: Two men going opposite directions on a narrow mountain trail met each other head-on. With a steep cliff on one side and sheer rock on the other, they were unable to pass. The harder they tried to squeeze past one another, the more frustrated they became. The situation seemed hopeless until one of them, without saying a word, simply laid down on the trail, allowing the other man to walk over him.

That illustrates kindness, normally thought of a “feel good” action. However, in the Bible it is part of what godly love means. It is an attitude that doesn’t mind getting walked on if it benefits someone else. It goes with patience in that patience endures abuses from others, whereas kindness repays them with good deeds.

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:19–21)

One of my dictionaries says that kindness is “tenderness of spirit” which defines the motivation behind allowing others to walk over me. I’m not insisting on my own way or being selfish but thinking of how I can benefit someone else.

This past week asked for this attitude and I discovered that being kind can be exhausting. Jesus sweat blood. I understand that a tiny bit better than before. Kindness should be easy when it comes to like-minded believers, but even then, my introverted nature finds it requires a conscious choice. It is not natural for me. Thankfully, God is here to help make it happen.

He was kind to provide salvation: “For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Titus 3:3–7)

He also shows kindness when putting me to work. The same word used in the above verses is also in this passage, translated here as “easy”:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29–30)

Because of His kindness, and because I’ve experienced it, I should deeply desire to read His Word and grow up — be more like Jesus. This word is translated “good” here, again the same word also translated “kind” in other passages . . .

Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. (1 Peter 2:2–3)

Key to being kind is considering the kindness of the Lord to me. What do my sins deserve but wrath? What does my selfishness tell me about myself? About the kindness of God? No matter what others do or what they are like, Jesus wants me to be to them what He is to me: long suffering and kind.

PRAY: Jesus, it is far easier to be kind to ‘nice’ people, yet if that tires me out, what will being kind to those who are not so nice do to my energy level? I’m realizing again how much I need Your power made perfect in my weakness. I cannot show Your goodness to others without being filled with the Spirit and without being willing to let that action put me on my face — both in humility and in fatigue. I’m relying on You for this great need.

PONDER: Matthew 5:38–48 tells me more about what kindness means. Reread it and think of ways to apply it.

 

 

No comments: