August 16, 2023

Pride exalts me; love exalts others

 

A neighbor talks continually, mostly about her activities, likes and dislikes, and opinions. She is not fun to be with. However, I suspect the biggest reason she bugs me is that she reminds me of myself. I can be like that too.

An inflated view of self does not necessarily go for the center of every conversation talking about self or bragging. It can subtly resent those who do not acknowledge me about my accomplishments or take any interest in what I have to say. God says . . .

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Love does not boast because boasting is exalting me at the expense of others, trying to make me look good and putting them down as lesser in some way. It can spawn jealousy and create great rifts between people who are gifted, believe in Jesus, and could be using their gifts to bless others rather than indulging in gaining praises for themselves.

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them . . . . (Romans 12:3–6)

This statement comes in the context of spiritual gifts. The Christians at Corinth had become spiritual show-offs where each one vied for attention and prominence. Their worship services were chaotic resulting in Paul’s rebuke in chapter 14:

What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, (1 Corinthians 14:26–33)

He concluded by saying, “But all things should be done decently and in order.” (1 Corinthians 14:40)

This lack of love violates God’s goal to transform us into the image of His Son. He says:

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:3–8)

Boasting about my spiritual gifts or anything else is senseless. I did nothing to earn anything and they are not a reflection of me, but of God’s grace. “What do I have that I did not receive? If then I received it, why do I boast as if I did not receive it?” (1 Corinthians 4:7)

PRAY: Jesus, I know that feelings of superiority can produce boasting, but so can feelings of inferiority, as if boasting will make it go away. However, love requires humility and sometimes humility does not feel good. This indicates pride licking at my wounds rather than rejoicing in the fact that I deeply need You for everything. Help me to daily acknowledge total dependence on Your grace and praise You that I even can live and breathe, never mind exercise any gifts that You have entrusted to me. Forgive me for letting my pride keep me from loving and considering the needs of others.

PONDER: Compare Proverbs 16:18 with 18:12. What does God tell me about the danger of pride and what He wants for me instead?

 

 

No comments: