August 12, 2023

Love’s Power

 

Some say that morning grouchiness is caused by getting out of the wrong side of the bed. This morning, while I was praying, I realized that my cantankerous attitude was likely another attack from Satan who often slaps at my moods so I don’t want to pray. Asking God to take care of it took care of it. Instead of being mad at the world, His joy returned within minutes.

Joy is a part of love. It takes my focus off me, and how I feel and puts it on others with a desire to show them the love of God. This love is difficult to define, but it can be described by the behavior it produces. Sometimes it is easier to identify by the things that are not love — at least not in the way God gives it to His people to share with others. This NT description does both:

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4–7)

While these words are often read at weddings, their original context is a strong rebuke. The Christians at Corinth were behaving like unsaved people and needed to hear how far off base they were. As MacArthur suggests, in effect this is what the Lord was saying to them:

Love is patient, but you are impatient. Love is kind, but you are unkind toward those who disagree with you. Love is not jealous, but you envy those with certain spiritual gifts. Love does not brag, but you are proud of your theology. Love is not arrogant and does not treat people rudely, but are rude and ill-mannered toward one another. Love does not seek its own, but you are self-centered. Love is not provoked, but you quarrel among yourselves. Love does not take into account a wrong suffered, but you hold grudges against each other. Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but you delight in one another’s failures. Love rejoices with the truth, but you distort and disobey God’s Word. Love bears all things, but you are defensive and resentful. Love is eager to believe the best about someone, but you are quick to assume the worst. Love never gives up and can tolerate incredible opposition, but you are intolerant quitters.

Reading this makes grouchy and fleshy attitudes and behavior easy to identify. Instead of blaming it on being in a bad mood, or not sleeping well, or having sore feet, or any other reason, I must recognize the source. I cannot even blame the devil even though he uses negatives like that to draw my attention away from gratitude to God and depending on Him to give me all I need to overcome such things. It is my fault to listen to his lies, accusations, and suggestions, especially evident when I consider the following:

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8)

Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs. (2 Corinthians 2:10–11)

Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil. (Ephesians 4:26–27)

Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. (Ephesians 6:11)

The next one is vital. When something distresses me, I must first say, “God, if this is Your will, I am willing live with it” but then ask, “If it is not Your will, You know what to do.” This is what it means to: “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you” (James 4:7) and in that order. Submission first. I cannot resist Satan without being yielded to the Lord.

PRAY: The intensity of spiritual attacks increases with the intensity of prayer. Jesus, You have motivated prayer this week like never before. I’m physically tired and emotionally spent, yet know You hear and will answer. The burdens range from support for care-givers and moms sending little ones off to school for the first time, to newcomers in Canada, to wisdom for government leaders, to victims of fires and other tragic events, to grace and boldness for Your people . . . and more. This world is in great need. Only You can do what is needed and can guide Your people to do our part.

PONDER: What does 1 John 3:13–18 teach me about love?

 

 

No comments: