August 3, 2023

A more excellent way

 

But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way. (1 Corinthians 12:31)

Love is a common word but biblical love is an uncommon experience. In common use, it often means a desire for something or someone for my enjoyment or comfort. I love chocolate, color, nature, and a host of other things that fall into that category, but the Word of God tells me that people should not be loved like that — for what they do for me. Nor should God.

Instead, biblical love comes from God and I cannot do it on my own. The Bible says, “God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” This love was demonstrated at the Cross where: “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:5-8)

That kind of love is characterized by humility, obedience to God, and self-sacrifice. Humility is demonstrated by Jesus when He washed His disciples dirty feet, a task done by servants.

(Jesus) rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him . . . . When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. (John 13:4–17)

Obedience is also what it means to love God. Jesus said it of Himself: “Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works . . . . but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father . . . .” (John 14:10; 31)

He also described it as the way I’m to show love for Him: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14:15) That obedience demonstrates love is repeated often in the NT.

Sacrifice is also part of God’s love. John 3:16 says it well: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” Jesus came from perfection to a sin-mucked up world to give us forgiveness and life eternal. While I cannot do that for people, I am sent to love them the same way — at a cost. Jesus said, “As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” (John 20:21)

Humility is necessary for obedience. If I think I can do anything by myself and without God, pride keeps me from obedience and from loving others. And obedience leads to sacrifice. Sometimes that is giving up my great ideas. Sometimes it means giving up time, effort, money and other personal and prized possessions. Obedience can call for patience when I’d rather be doing something else, silence when I’d like to talk about me, enduring when I’d rather walk away, giving in rather than giving up. All three of love’s characteristics are a challenge. All three wear me out. Love is not easy.

PRAY: Oh, Lord, for the joy set before You, You endured. You knew that the results of loving would be astonishing and everlasting. You also know that keeping focus on what is to come is a trust issue. You trusted the Father when He sent You to die. You are my example in how I need to persevere when it seems like love is a losing matter. Keep me going, I pray, granting wisdom and grace to walk in love no matter the cost.

PONDER: Think how vital it is to look again at Jesus when I am not certain how to love others, particularly those who reject me or treat me as if I am a fool.

 

 

No comments: