August 29, 2023

Hate what God hates . . .

 

The church was in a turmoil. Members complained about everything. When one couple came to the chairman of the board demanding change, he listened then said, “You need to decide if you will be part of the solution or remain part of the problem.”

Their decision? They left. However that incident came to mind today in reading MacArthur’s devotional on the things God hates. Almost all of them are listed in the OT as part of the human problem, but students of the Word know that the solution to that problem is given in the NT, in Jesus Christ who gives redemption and new life. He wants us to focus on the solutions, but at the same time be aware of the problems, such as:

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers. (Proverbs 6:16–19)

These are broad categories. The first is “haughty eyes” picturing a proud, arrogant person whose pride is reflected in mannerisms. I know that it is not always that obvious, but as the devotional says, it is at the heart of all rebellion against God. It began with Lucifer who cried out against God, “I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, and I will sit on the mount of assembly in the recesses of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:13–14).

This attitude of humans being our own god is reflected in this verse: “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” (Isaiah 53:6) Our own way might look good to us, or seem okay on the surface, but God hates the pride that motivates me to do my own thing — as if I have more wisdom than the God who created me.

God also hates “a lying tongue.” Whether I deny truth, or distort it, or mess with it in any way, I am being contrary to Jesus who is “the way, the truth, and the life.” Deception denies Jesus. It also denies sin, the power of God, and the love of God. No wonder God hates lies.

He also hates murderous hands motivated by hatred, greed, desire for power, and pure selfishness so strong that those with this sin will kill rather than go without what they want. Not only is this a total lack of love, it also does not respect the sanctity of life of those whom God created in His image. This is putting self above all others.

Another thing God hates is the heart that plans evil and is quick to do it. Goodness is not their first thought, and may be missing entirely. These are people so focused on their sinful ideas that they are not able to consider doing anything that resembles sacrificial care for others.

It is the same concerning “a false witness” which is one evidence of a lying tongue and those who “sow discord” among those who normally would be united, such as brothers. Lies can harm innocent people, obstruct justice, destroy reputations, and even lives. Spreading strife is just as harmful, ruining relationships and the joy of people who are no longer united in their work, ideas, and goals.

These sinful motivations and activities make headlines in the news and the world around us a scary place. While they are blamed on things like ‘mental illness’ or poverty, or poor upbringing, or all sorts of other reasons, the Word of God diagnoses them as sin. However, it also offers the cure: faith in Jesus Christ and a new life.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11–14)

While those hated sins are associated with lack of faith and resistance to God, Christians need to be on guard. I know that my old nature can listen to lies and fall into pride and selfishness. I must keep short accounts with God and rely on Jesus to fill me with His Spirit and keep me walking with Him.

PRAY: Hating my sin is one thing; loving You, Jesus, is the cure, the solution to the problem of sin. I know what I would be without You, and am so glad for Your grace and saving power. I’m also glad that You teach me to renounce ungodliness, even to hate it and instead be eager to love You and love others with all my heart. And it is my sin to hate, not pointing at the sins of others.

PONDER: Philippians 2:1–5 and focus on all that Jesus does that I might care about others rather than be proud and self-sufficient.

 

 

No comments: