August 15, 2023

Jealousy not recommended . . .

 

It is said that jealousy wants the same as what others have, and envy is also that, but adding wishing that what others have is taken away from them. The Bible use of these two terms is not that clearly defined and the idea of being jealous or envious varies with the context. The only certainty is that wanting what I do not have is a rebuke to God for not doing what I think is best for me. It is an expression of distrust as well as being unloving toward others. It replaces contentment with resentment and is a root of many other sinful attitudes and actions.

If you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. (James 3:14–16)

I remember being jealous of those who lived in a big house. God has a sense of humor. He taught me to be content with what I had, then after that, we lived in a big house and I realized that contentment had nothing to do with having what I wanted! It is more about wanting what I have — and trusting God who knows what is best for me. I’ve quoted my mother who often said, “We must need it or we wouldn’t be getting it.” God uses that thought to steer me away from any sort of envy.

The love chapter says, “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant.” (1 Corinthians 13:4) Experience shows me how boasting and arrogance are part of envy. They reveal an attitude of heart that thinks I am or should be above others, or at least be noticed and elevated in some way. It is opposite of humility and humility is a necessary component of love. I cannot love others if I think I am better or more important than they are.

When Paul was in prison, some were “preaching Christ from envy and strife” out of “selfish ambition” and he rejoiced that Christ was preached regardless of their motives. These days, there are a preachers with that same selfish ambition. They line their pockets, build big estates, have airplanes and fancy cars, but they preach Christ. I’ve resented their hypocrisy but see how my love for Jesus and the gospel should make me rejoice rather than resent them. At least He is being preached.

It is the same when anyone is successful in any way, even in the same things I do but with greater results. Love means being glad at the blessings God gives others, not being jealous, or boastful, or wanting to look as good as others, or even be arrogant and thinking I should have more than they have.

Jesus had much to say about wanting more out of selfish ambition or jealousy. As for daily needs, He said, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” (Matthew 6:33) Get my priorities in line.

If I boast by putting others down, He said, “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.” (Matthew 7:5) He also said many times that those who wanted to be first will be last and, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” (Mark 9:35)

There is a good side of jealousy for the Bible talks of God being a jealous God. Because He knows what is best for me, He is zealous to guard me from making foolish choices. The same applies to marriage where each partner will protect the relationship in a jealous desire to not allow any intrusion. However, for the most part, jealousy is unloving and self-centered. The worst thing it does is motivate strong ‘I wants’ that cause me to go ahead of God or act without consulting Him and try to do things that He does not will for me or want for those around me.

PRAY: Jesus, keep me alert to the reasons for wanting to do things. Love is not envious and not motivated by personal desire for comfort, achievement, success or any focus on myself. Love is also glad when You bless other people, even if You seem to bypass me. You know what is best. May I always trust You with everything.

PONDER: 2 Corinthians 11 & 12 tell of Paul’s “divine jealousy” in a lengthy description of how that showed up in his life. How is this also a description of his love for God’s people? And a description of God’s love for me?

 

 

No comments: