August 26, 2023

“Love hopes all things”

 

Years ago in college, my assignment was a paper on ‘hope’. I drove to the college each morning and parked a distance from the main buildings. When I opened my car door, I could smell cinnamon buns. This inviting aroma became my illustration of hope. I could not see them or eat them but I knew they were waiting for me. That is what hope is like: knowing God is at work even when I don’t yet see it.

Hope also illustrates how to love God. This love rests in the knowledge that He is not finished, has not abandoned me, and will reveal Himself at the right time. MacArthur says that even when faith falters, hope comes to the rescue, keeping me linked to the sovereignty and power of God. He is my hope for the future as well as He has been in the past.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (1 Peter 1:3)

As today’s devotional proclaims, my hope is “a living hope” because my God is a living God. No matter how impossible my situation might seem, God is at work to accomplish His purposes. His supreme example is the Cross. It seemed that sin had triumphed over righteousness when Jesus was put to death, but that was not true. God’s power overs sin was proven when Christ rose from the grave as the Lord of life.

If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you. (Romans 8:11)

No matter what happens, I know even death cannot destroy me for it brings me into His eternal presence. And in life, I have the confidence that no matter how I falter at time, God will not abandon me. As MacArthur reminds, God refused to accept Israel’s failures; Jesus refused to accept Peter’s; and Paul refused to accept that of the Corinthians. When I try to cover the sins of others and fail, or my expectations are shattered, or when I fall on my face in some way, hope says,

We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)

This hope is illustrated in pets who anticipate the presence of their owners. Our son-in-law drives home from work each day. Their two dogs are already waiting at the door, long before they could hear his car or see him. As soon as he arrives, one of them lays on her back waiting for a tummy rub. Their love for him produces consistent hope and nothing can keep them from this work-day routine. As MacArthur says, if a dog’s love can produce such hope, how much more can my love produce hope in Jesus as I daily wait on Him?

PRAY: We have a busy week ahead, Lord. I see no evidence of exactly all that will happen except we have family arriving soon and a special wedding next Friday, and before that a slo-pitch BBQ, a meeting with quilters, a rehearsal dinner, two family birthdays, special meals to make, and a few other activities tossed into the mix. Nothing is guaranteed, yet my hope is in You to give the energy, ideas, and grace to me and others who hope in You, that we might be faithful ambassadors and able to love all who are involved in everything on our calendar. Praise God for Your sovereignty and power and for the hope that is ours in You. Thank You that You are busy planning for us a wonderful time with family and friends.

PONDER: Read Matthew 6:25-34 and drop any worries about the coming week. Instead focus on being filled with hope as it expresses my love and trust in the sovereign power of God and is also part of seeking His kingdom and righteousness as the priority of my life.

 

 

No comments: