August 10, 2023

Recognizing Love

 

NOTE: My apologies to all who read this and see the typos before I fix them. An artist learns that the mind fills in what the eyes do not see so never paint every leaf. In the same way, a writer sees ideas not errors and must let their piece ‘grow cold’ before submitting it for publication. My writing is still too ‘warm’ when I post these devotions and my mind fills in what my eyes do not see. If nothing else, this illustrates how easy I can be blind to my mistakes. For that, I need God’s help to see clearly!

Today’s words from John MacArthur are along the same line. He says, “Love is characterized by self-sacrifice, but not all self-sacrifice is an act of love.” That requires discernment. An action can see and feel like a sacrifice when it covers a selfish grab for personal gain.

One example is giving to gain tax receipts so they can be deducted on a tax form. This is a gain of sorts rather than a sacrifice. This is the same if my giving was motivated by obligation, peer pressure, legalism, guilt, or a desire for recognition. However, the Bible says those gains are worthless in the mind of God:

If I give away all I have . . . but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:3)

There are many needs all around me. Fund-raisers appeal to every conceivable motive. I’ve always considered myself a ‘hard sell’ because the greater the persuasion the greater my tendency to run the other way. For that reason, I’m glad that sharing God’s love includes obedience. If I’m to give, God lets me know — apart from a sales pitch or any emotional appeal. Besides, I’m fully aware that I cannot give to every need. If I see them, prayer about them is primary, and in praying, God tells me what I’m supposed to do about what He showed me.

As MacArthur says, giving can be about personal gain unless it is motivated by the love of God. What does He gain by loving me? He is complete and perfect without me so I am the one who gains from His giving. That is what it means to give as an act of self-sacrifice; it is not about me or my gain, but about doing good for others.

Yet Jesus also said that giving in love is rewarded:

Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:1–4)

A quick word search shows me that these rewards are not clearly defined, only that the recipient is blessed. I’m delighted when I know I’ve done the right thing. Does my obedience please God? I know He is joyful without me doing anything, yet He usually gives me His joy when I obey, but He also gives joy at other times so that reward for giving is a mystery. I do know that the love He blesses is not focused on me, my needs, my wants, or to gain anything at all.

 PRAY: When I give to others, I realize all I have is from You, so all giving is a matter of being a good steward of Your generosity. Even the desire to help others is not my doing. That You reward me with joy is Your doing also, for that joy is Your joy from Your Spirit. It is nothing about me. Your love is like that —  all about You — yet it blesses me and those around me. Again, I am in awe of You.

PONDER: Luke 18:9–14 reveals two attitudes. How did the Pharisee’s prayer differ from the tax-gatherer’s? Which of these two men demonstrates a heart prepared to really love others and why do I think that?

 

 

No comments: