August 9, 2023

Loveless faith is useless faith

 

Faith with love has power, yet it is also costly. In the past three days, saying yes to love and acting in faith has me so tired that I’m struggling to keep my eyes open. The activities done in love are delightful and rewarding, but the fatigue has me weak.

MacArthur encourages me with, “The gift of faith is the ability to believe that God will act according to His will, no matter the circumstances. People with that gift are prayer warriors and tend to stand as rocks when others around them are falling apart. They see God’s power and purposes at work, and they trust Him even when others doubt.”

This has been my experience the past few weeks. Love comes with a price tag but it is vital for all Christians.

And if I have  . . . all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)

Jesus used this figure of speech a few times. When the disciples failed to heal someone and asked Him about it, He said: “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matthew 17:20) He later repeated it:

Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. (Matthew 21:21–22)

We use this figure of speech today too. This week, I’ve said that planning a family reunion seems like moving mountains. It is not literal but still means overcoming  great obstacles. In the NT, Jesus used it to describe those with faith who can ask the impossible and believe God will answer.

But the NT also says that even if I have such faith, if I don’t have love, I am nothing. This points to faith in action and happens because of the One I am trusting. I’ve heard the word ‘faith’ used for something that sounded more like presumption. Some use it as if ‘this is what I want and I know God will do it for me’ rather than being assured of God’s will in the matter. In the NT, the Corinthians’ motives were evident in their selfish pursuit of the showy gifts, not considering the importance of loving others.

What motivates me? Do I want the mountain moved to make my  life easier or more comfortable or for my glory? Am I praying out of compassion for someone who is suffering? Do I pray to show off my faith rather than to seek God’s glory? Do I remember that love includes humility, obedience, and sacrifice? And that without love it doesn’t matter what gifts I have, how eloquent my speech might be, or what I know, or believe? Love rises above all selfishness or self-centered reasons for praying.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m exhausted. Do I feel so tired because the enemy wants me to stop praying? You have been gracious to hear and answer, to bless those I pray for and to be praised for Your love and mercy. Now I ask for the energy and determination to keep trusting You and to keep praying. Thank You.

PONDER: Mark 14:32-42 and Luke 22:39-46 noting what Jesus says about the fatigue His disciples experienced. Compare that to 1 Peter 4:7-11 and the will of God concerning prayer and actions of love.

 

 

No comments: