August 23, 2023

Love rejoices when . . .

 

It’s easy to see when my housework is not done or my makeup is still in a drawer and not on my face. When supper is not made, we know it. If I don’t take my prescription pills, I know that too, not by their absence but by the results.

It isn’t difficult to realize when the Spirit of God is not governing my behavior also. When He is pushed aside, I get symptoms such as jealousy, boasting, arrogance, rude toward others, self-centered, easily provoked, complaining about the way people hurt me, or finding that sin makes me happy or at least feel good.

Thankfully, the Holy Spirit also makes His presence known. I can tell that He is with me by the fruit that He produces: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22–23) but need to be careful about my focus. If I think too much about the wonder of this, I become self-focused and lose it!

One way to avoid that is a determined choice to do what love does: It “rejoices with the truth” (1 Corinthians 13:6) which is completely opposite to rejoicing in sin and unrighteousness. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6) so that means concentrating on Jesus and rejoicing in Him, the Living Word of God.

Of course the written Word of God is how to do that. It is the standard of truth, the source of faith, and the way that God talks to me and verifies His will and His love to me. From reading it, I know false teaching and when I’ve fallen into sin. In a positive sense, it gives me the same delight as the psalmist:

Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Psalm 119:97–105)

Some say that biblical doctrine divides people, but that is not true. Division comes when we try to interpret and apply it without obeying it, without the love God gives us, and without the fullness of His Spirit. Division also comes when we listen to false teaching from others or directly from its source, the devil who is the Liar.

And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. (2 John 6–9)

Biblical love operates according to God’s Word. Spiritual discernment might be needed but love produces excellence and purity of life, not division and sin. As Paul wrote:

It is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9–11)

PRAY: Jesus, give me always a hunger for Your Word and a desire for truth, rejoicing in both so that I will glorify You. Protect me from the enemy’s lies and keep me from thinking I know it all as You have done for many years. Keep giving me surprises from You each day, truth to enable me to love You and love others. Increase that and keep drawing me to You. Grant also godly discernment for there are many voices and many demands for Your love. I know that there are not enough hours in a day for one person to take care of the love-needs in this world. May You fill Your people with Your Spirit and show Your love to millions who crave it.

PONDER: Philippians 1:9–11 and consider the reality of how love requires truth, knowledge, and discernment  as its foundation. Rely on God for all this and more . . . .

 

 

 

No comments: