August 6, 2023

From God’s heart . . .

 

Speaking from my old nature is easier to describe than speaking in the power of the Holy Spirit because once I start analyzing my thoughts and words, it slides into the realm of self even if God empowered me to speak. All I know is that when the Holy Spirit is using my words, it seems a natural way of talking and I usually cannot remember afterwards the exact words He gave me.

Speaking from that old nature has a self-glory motivation, a desire to be understood, a persuasiveness, a concern for my reputation, stuff like that. Whereas when the love of God is motivating Spirit-filled talk, my speech should be marked by humility, done in obedience, and have some element of sacrifice to it. It also will have great love for those who listen. This is why the ‘love chapter’ says this:

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)

Prophetic powers refer to the ability to say what God says with accuracy and authority. It is always based on what God says. If it is not true to His Word, it is not from Him. This gift is greater than speaking in tongues, which could be more spectacular or exciting, but prophecy edifies the people of God. Tongues may not.

One who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation [and] edifies the church . . . . 

In the Law it is written, “By people of strange tongues and by the lips of foreigners will I speak to this people, and even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.” Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers. (1 Corinthians 14:3-4; 21–22)

Tongues may not be from God but merely an emotional ecstasy as practiced by pagans then and by some cults even today. If it is from God and by Christians, it requires an interpreter to be helpful. The NT says this was an orderly and edifying process, not done in an emotional frenzy. Prophetic utterances are also orderly.

If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of confusion but of peace . . . .(1 Corinthians 14:30–33)

 While both tongue-speakers and today’s false ‘prophets’ claim a revelation from God, revelation ceased when the canon of Scripture closed. Since then, prophecy is a declaration of what God says in His Word, a reiteration of His truth as illuminated by the Holy Spirit while studying it and taking it to heart, then repeating it to others as enabled by the Holy Spirit. This can be  through preaching or teaching, yet also in ordinary speech as Christians are enable by the Lord.

New Testament prophets policed one another to ensure that every prophecy was truly from God in that “the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.” The OT taught them: “To the teaching and to the testimony! If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn” with the dawn referring to God’s light given: “Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.” (Isaiah 8:20; 60:1)

Today’s verse, 1 Corinthians 13:2, could be stated:  “If I have the ability to speak direct revelation from God, or to reiterate divine truth forcefully and dramatically, but lack love, my ministry is meaningless.” This not only applies to pastors and teachers but to all believers as we share the Word of God with others. We are to “speak the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15) as the Holy Spirit empower our words, and . . .

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29)

PRAY: Again Lord, I’m impressed to guard my motivation when I say anything. Is this to glorify me? or You? Is this to edify others? Or to impress them? Is this truth from You? Or gobbledygook from me? Guard my heart and my words so everything I say is from Your heart of love, not from my fleshy desire to impress people.

PONDER: False prophecy is a serious matter. Read Deuteronomy 13:1–5 and 18:20–22 and think of what God demanded concerning those who claimed to speak for Him but were really speaking for themselves.

 

 

No comments: