August 2, 2023

God’s gift of love includes other gifts . . .


Study of spiritual gifts has revealed three types. One is that God gives gifted people to equip the saints for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11).

Another is motivational gifts, or a built-in way of thinking. Each of us can have and use these motivations, but some will be more dominant than others. That is, a teacher will love gathering information and passing it on. This motivation is not confined to teaching; think a librarian or research assistant. These gifts are part of who we are and how we think.

Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. (Romans 12:6–8)

I’ve seen how these gifts show up in Spirit-filled Christians, yet they also can be seen in a negative way when a Christian is walking in the flesh. For instance, instead of encouraging growth and a forward look, a fleshy Christian comes across as a used-car sales person or a manipulator. A leader can be bossy instead of a visionary person who can delegate.

A third description focuses on gifts given to deal with the needs before us in a godly way.

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way. (1 Corinthians 12:27–31)

The last line reveals that to use these gifts requires more and points to the love chapter, 1 Corinthians 13, yet this is true for all three categories. Without the love of God, our actions are selfish and sinful and do more harm than good. Today’s devotional says that abusing gifts means seeking prominence for ourselves rather than ministering to one another. They can function properly only in a spiritual person who displays not only the gift but the fruit of the Spirit.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:22–24)

The love chapter repeats this in these words:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1–3)

In other words, love must be the motive and driving force behind everything we do. This is not the mushy love of films nor the love of chocolate nor even the love of family. It is the sacrificial love of John 3:16, a love that gives, is costly. What a shame that even the people of God can use some of love’s characteristics to manipulate and use people for personal gain. This reminds me of the woman who said, “I love to help people because it makes me feel so good.”

If love feels good, why then did Jesus sweat blood and pray, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done”? (Luke 22:42) This act of love shows me that using the gifts He gave me to obey the motivations He gives me will not always be comfortable or without cost.

PRAY: Lord, there are days when I want to pull away from praying, calling people, serving needs, and even writing these words for the world to see. Apart from loving obedience, what is the point? I gain nothing except an occasional glimpse of what You do with these sacrifices. Forgive me for selfishly wanting some glory. It all belongs to You for You alone are worthy. Enable me to remember always why loving You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength is costly; it cost You Your life to love me.

PONDER: Thinking of how God loves me, and how His love changes lives, consider ways I can show His love to others whose lives are in dire need of a glimpse into the heart of God.

 

 

 

No comments: