August 24, 2023

A Cure is better than a diagnosis . . .

 

If my doctor diagnosed something wrong in my body but did not do anything toward a cure, I’d find another doctor. If the preacher(s) in my church kept telling me about my sin but did not talk about God’s remedy for sin, I would find another place to worship.

The NT gives the task of convicting people of sin to the Holy Spirit. Such a diagnosis is not my job unless the Spirit expressly wants to use me to give a rebuke — and that invitation comes with a caveat:

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:1–5)

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. (Galatians 6:1)

From these and other verses, I get the strong message to be careful about diagnosing sin in others; I am responsible to listen to what the Holy Spirit says to me, not taking on His role when I have enough to deal with by looking in the mirror. If I’m sinning and not aware, a rebuke is needed, but I also want to know and be reminded of the cure, rather than repeatedly hearing how ‘sick’ I am. This analogy relates to the love of God. Scripture says:

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:7)

The word “bears” means to put up with annoyance or difficulty, either in my own life or the life of someone else. It comes from a root word that means to roof over, indicating to cover with patient silence. This makes me think of God’s love for me. What if He pointed to all my sin all at once and all the time? I would be in such angst that I would try to run away from Him. However, He does not do that. He gently deals with one sin at a time, one attitude or activity that needs His grace to overcome. Love is not shaking my finger at every sin I perceive or gossip about it, or point it out to the world. Love “bears” all things, waiting on God for instruction and if none comes, love still believes, hopes, and endures. This good news is what I most need to hear and I’m certain others are the same. We need the cure, not a nagging repetition of the diagnosis!

Love wants to cover sins and protect sinners from further harm. Our society makes a big business of gossip with a sinful and insatiable appetite for exposés and “true confessions.” God may call me to confront and discipline sin but never expose or broadcast the failures or wrongs others do. I’m to feel their pain and the sorrow of God, not try to alleviate it by describing what they are doing for public condemnation.

Jesus died for my sin and for all sin. I cannot do that redemptive work (It is finished), but I can love them:

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. (Proverbs 10:12)

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8)

The bottom line is that love never thinks the worst when it sees sin in others, nor does it gloat over those failures. Instead, love believes and hopes God will patiently work in the lives of others, lovingly expecting that to happen. Love will not jump at further exposure, ridicule, or harm. When God prods, love may confront that sin but only to bear their burden in gentleness and restore them to a right relationship with our Savior.

PRAY: Lord, I’ve been thinking much about what specific assignments You give and loving others is always near the top of the list. This task must come from my heart, not be treated as a chore or a duty. Enable me to deeply care about the needs of others, whether those needs are physical, social, or having a roof put in place over their sins. I thank You that all sin is covered by Your blood and that You patiently deal with my sin in ways that clearly show me how to deal with the sins of others. You don’t put them out there for everyone to see, and You never treat me with anything but patience, mercy, grace, and gentle kindness.

PONDER: Isaiah 53:3–12 describes further how Jesus bore all things to put His protecting “roof” over all who trust in Him. Read this a few times today and consider what I can do to be more like Him.

 

 

No comments: