August 7, 2023

Being and doing — like Jesus

 

When my children were little, we used a ‘chore chart’ to assign various responsibilities, rotating them for variety and to teach them to do routine things. One chore was designated only as a “special” chore. That meant if they noticed something that had to be done, they could do it, put a checkmark on the chart, but never tell anyone what it was that they did. This taught them a value system of doing the right thing whether it netted praise, allowance, or any other type of reward.

I noticed today’s verse does not refer to results but to what kind of person is involved. It could end with “without love, no one listens” but instead it says:

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)

The devotional writer speaks of love as an indispensable ingredient in the learning process. He said a reward of being loving is a good response from students. While that is usually true, this NT passage is talking more about who I am by obeying God rather than the results in the lives of others. He is correct to say that not everyone who hears loving speech and are treated in a loving way will respond positively. The OT prophets loved the people but they didn’t listen, even wanted to kill Jeremiah. I believe the reason for love is first becoming who we should be.

We spent yesterday afternoon with a family who were persecuted in their home country and had to flee. They are very loving and kind, yet one of them told me they were hated for believing in Jesus. This was not polite rejection but open hostility. Loving as Christ loves will result in responses that Christ experienced. Some believed, yet others cried, “Crucify Him!”

I cannot depend on the results as motivation to selflessly love others. They might hate me. Today’s verse ends by saying that without love, “I am nothing” and suggests: “with love, I am like Jesus.” Other Christians will respond well to that, but those who despise the gospel will not.

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, (2 Timothy 3:12)

Hatred for what I do could be a big turn-off for me as well. In other words, being hated for being like Jesus may anger me rather than remembering this is an honor and my destiny. Jesus said,

It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household. (Matthew 10:25)

God’s goal is clear and I need to keep it clear, especially if loving others results in negativity:

Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. (1 John 3:2–3)

I wanted my children to do some chores without tangible reward to build in them the desire to do good without having any other reason that it was the right thing to do. Today’s verse is clear too; speaking motivated by a love for others is the right thing to do, whether it turns out well or not. Without doing that, I am nothing.

PRAY: Jesus, doing the right thing as a child was almost a game for my three little ones, yet now as adults I see how You have blessed them with a lasting motivation to do right. I see in them how they remain fearless in this attitude because You have shaped their hearts to speak with concern for truth and justice, even when some react with hostility.

PONDER: What do Acts 20:19, 31, Romans 9:2–3, and 2 Corinthians 2:4 tell me about an attitude of love toward others when talking to them?

 

No comments: