January 13, 2023

Enjoying God’s Forgiveness?

 

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight (Ephesians 1:7–8)

At times I confess a sin and don’t ‘feel’ forgiven even though the Word of God tells me that I am. I know better, but that vague nagging doesn’t go away. This verse is helpful:

And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. (Revelation 12:10)

While it speaks of a future event after Jesus returns, it also identifies the source of those nagging accusations. If Satan can come before God accusing me of sin, he certainly can nag at me to create confusion and doubt. My only defense is the promises of God and what Christ did for me on the cross.

Today’s devotional goes back to the OT when on Israel’s Day of Atonement, the high priest sacrificed a goat for sin, then placed his hands on a second goat symbolically placing the sins of the people on it. This “scapegoat” is taken a great distance and released—never to return again.

In the NT, the Greek word translated “forgiveness” has the idea of “releasing or sending away” such as canceling a debt or granting a pardon. This is what Jesus did on the cross.

In Christ, God canceled my debt and pardoned my transgressions. He did this “according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon me.” This is infinite forgiveness because God’s grace is infinite. My sin is gone forever as foreshadowed by the scapegoat. I cannot sin beyond God’s grace, because where sin abounds, grace super-abounds.

Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 5:20–21)

Grace reigns. Satan, the accuser does not want me to live in grace, but the Bible is clear: God delights in lavishing His grace upon me. Such grace is overflowing and has no limits. I am forgiven for every sin—past, present, and future. I will never be condemned by God or separated from Him.

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1–2)

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31–39)

Even when I fail, God doesn’t hold my sins against me. Christ bore them all so that I might know the joy and peace that freedom from sin and guilt brings. With that, I can let God’s grace and assurance drive away the unease of the accusers nagging. I can glorify God in awe and give Him praise in everything that happens.

And yes, sometimes it is not a vague nagging but clear conviction from the Holy Spirit that I have sinned. For that, I'm grateful that God’s grace offers this:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

READ: Read Leviticus 16:7–10, Matthew 18:21–35, Ephesians 1, 1 John 1,

 

No comments: