January 21, 2023

Sealed and Guaranteed

 

(The Holy Spirit) is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of (God’s) glory. (Ephesians 1:14)

When my dad died, my brother and I were executors of his estate. However, we were also heirs to that estate and legal guardians of his health decisions and finances while he was alive. This complicated legal proceedings. My dad also had several bank accounts and several investments that had not matured. All this meant that it took a long time before we received our inheritance.

Not so with God. On the day I die, God will take full possession of all that is rightfully His. Already I have been sealed with the Holy Spirit as a pledge of my eternal inheritance. God did that as a guarantee of that day when He will fully own what is rightfully His, purchased by the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. I belong to Him . . .

And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation . . . .” (Revelation 5:9)

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

Because this is true, I should reflect His ownership in all that I do. 1 Corinthians 6:19–20 is clear: “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”

We are on holidays right now, but taking a holiday from loving, obeying and glorifying God is not granted to the Lord’s people. I am His treasured possession and must seek His will and leading in every way and on every day.

Jesus, time for Bible study and prayer will be limited in our stay with family, yet my heart sings to think of You and that I belong to You. May I hear Your voice all day as You guide and lead me, and may I gladly and joyfully share You with others and give you glory!

MORE: Read Ephesians 2:1–13, noting the spiritual privileges and responsibilities that are mine in Christ. I am so blessed, even before receiving that full inheritance.

 

No comments: