January 20, 2023

Holy Spirit is my Guarantee . . .

 

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:13–14)

Years ago, my friend Pat bought me a wax stick-candle and a metal stamp with my initial on it. I could use it on envelopes or documents like a legal seal, normally used to mark a legal document or guarantee the document's authenticity. Each one is unique to the government agency, corporation or notary that uses it to show that the document is validly executed, acknowledged or witnessed.

In ancient times, kings and other nobles sealed documents and other items to guarantee them. Breaking a seal would be like a slap in the face of whoever it represented. Daniel 6:17 tells how a stone was laid on the mouth of the lion’s den, and the king sealed it with his signet and the signet of his leaders to seal Daniel’s fate. In the same way, those who crucified Jesus sealed His tomb with a stone in an attempt to guarantee He stayed in there. Neither seal was effective!

When I was saved, God sealed me to guarantee my fate also, not with a stone but with the Holy Spirit. In another legal term, He is the down payment or first installment on my inheritance. Because of this Seal, God brings salvation, conviction, guidance, strength and can equip me to serve God.

He also provides assurance of my salvation and His ministry to me includes letting my emotions know when I’ve disobeyed God: “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption” (Ephesians 4:30) because He lives in me and when He grieves, I feel it!

The positive work of the Spirit is to guarantee that my salvation is sacred and secure; I am an authentic member of God’s Kingdom and family. His possession was purchased with the blood of Christ and is God’s guarantee that He will keep all the promises He has made. The Spirit is also the source of faith, for in Him I just ‘know’ that God is real, true, and with me at all times.

Lord, again I praise You for the Spirit who assures me of all that You are and do and who enables faith and obedience. I also rejoice in the imagery of a seal. You have guaranteed your promises to me with this wonderful down payment. May I not grieve or quench You with selfishness but be filled with the Spirit and walk in Your will each day.

HAVE A LOOK at the story of Esther noting what role the signet ring played in what happened to Haman in chapter 3 and to Mordecai in chapter 8.

 

No comments: