January 28, 2023

Rejoicing in God’s Power

 

The older I get, the less strength shows up when I need to open jars, move furniture, climb long stairways, and sometimes just to pull on or take off my winter boots. However, physical strength is not as important as spiritual power and according to the Word of God, in Christ I have all the power I will ever need. Paul prayed that God’s people would know . . .

. . . what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, (Ephesians 1:19–20)

This power is thought of in several ways. He spoke the universe into existence. He rescued His people from slavery. He controls the weather. He changes the heart of kings. He raised Jesus from the dead — and because of that power, those who put their faith in Him will also live:

. . . Because I live, you also will live. (John 14:19)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, (1 Peter 1:3–4)

This great power is not ‘pie in the sky’ but also power to live for Him while residents of earth. His power conquered sin and Satan as well as the grave.

When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:54–57)

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, (Christ) himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. (Hebrews 2:14–15)

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. (Romans 16:20)

While forgiveness and eternal life are vital, living this life can distract us from eternal matters. Trials and temptations come. Some days I feel bombarded. Heaven seems too far away, yet the truth is that I also have all the power I need for right now.

To live a godly life, even in trials, God assures me that I have the knowledge of His glory in this weak jar of clay so I can show that all surpassing power belongs to God and not to me. (2 Corinthians 4:7) I’m fully aware that It is God who works in me, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)

I can even rejoice in trials because I know His power uses them to transform me into the image of His Son. (James 1:2-4) No matter how weak and useless I might feel, God says He “is able to do exceedingly abundantly beyond all that I ask or think, according to the power that works within me” (Ephesians 3:20). Because of His power, I can keep on. I don’t need muscular power to share Christ with others, just His boldness and love!

Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me. (Colossians 1:28–29)

Lord Jesus, You know I have another birthday coming up and age brings various physical weaknesses, yet Your Word says that even though the outer body deteriorates, the inner person is renewed day by day. I’m so thankful for the desire and the ability to read and study Your Word and to share with others what You show me. This power requires wisdom too, so I ask for that also — that my life will bring glory to You.

READ: Psalm 145, noting every mention of God’s power David makes. Allow those examples to fill my heart with confidence and praise.

 

 

No comments: