January 25, 2023

Called to a most wonderful new life!

 

NOTE: Read yesterday’s post again! I mistakenly uploaded the one from the day before. Getting old and senile? Maybe. However, God uses all things for good. Maybe it was not supposed to ‘go public’ or more likely I just needed another reminder of my weaknesses and the need to always focus on Him.

As for today, the topic is knowing the hope of our calling. We who believe are rooted and grounded in what Christ has done and in the promises of God. No matter what we have done, or the mistakes we make, or our IQ or profession, or the size of our bank account, our possessions, our family or relationships, or our have’s and have not’s, we are called to be His own and to be transformed into the image of His Son. That is enough!

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14–19)

The vital result of being called into the kingdom of God is knowing and experiencing His great love. This passage says that His love is beyond our comprehension yet because of Him, we can know the vastness of it — which takes a lifetime and even then is not fully grasped. We are guiltless and totally forgiven, but still feel guilt and ask for forgiveness when we sin. I understand the love of Christ enough that I never want to have any barrier between my heart and His, even if that barrier is just in my own mind!

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. (Colossians 2:6–10)

My calling is powerful in itself. Just as someone elected to lead a country is suddenly given a huge responsibility, or a woman who becomes a mother, or a person wins the lottery, life changes with that event. I have Jesus Christ, the man who is God, in my life. I cannot walk or talk or think the same way. I’m to guard that relationship and not let any worldly or ‘old nature’ ideas rule me ever again. He is to fill me up and I am to totally cooperate with that filling!

Being called includes total access to His promises; some say 600 or more. Some are given instantly; others I must wait for, but either way, even though I may read them and know them, their fulfillment is always a delightful surprise. The call of God is like that. It is anticipation and delight, like the smell at the kitchen door even though the turkey or the pie is still in the oven.

Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:2)

This hope and anticipation produce a hunger for what we know is coming . . . “Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” (1 John 3:2–3) Anyone who smells what’s cooking is quick to wash their hands and sit down at the table!

Jesus, I am thankful for my security in You and the blessings You grant in this life. I’m also thankful for the surprises that are coming, that You are returning and I will be with You forever. There is nothing in me that deserves this yet there is everything in You that I need!

SUGGESTION: Do a word study on ‘call’ and ‘calling’ and note the power of God and what His calling means to sinners like me.

 

 

No comments: