January 14, 2023

Wisdom is for . . .

 

In (Christ we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ. (Ephesians 1:7–9)

My dad said some people were “educated idiots.” I met a woman with no schooling at all yet she was incredibly wise. Most of us know children who are “wise beyond their years.” I have a Master’s degree and often do something that makes me say, “Oh, am I ever stupid.”

The dictionary defines wisdom as “the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise” but it does not define how ‘good judgment’ is measured or by what standard. Another definition is biblical and says wisdom is “becoming aware of your words, your emotions, your thoughts and your actions and learning to align those with the heart of Jesus.”

Today’s devotional has that in mind. The writer is highly educated but he says, “Even if you haven’t obtained academic degrees, you have wisdom that far surpasses the most educated unbeliever.” He knows that Intelligence doesn't guarantee wisdom, and vice versa. They seem similar, but are different as my dad bluntly said, even though it is possible to have both.

God’s redemption is about forgiveness and removing the guilt and penalty of sin, but it is also about the gifts of spiritual insight and wisdom in how to apply it in practical ways. For instance, the Spirit of God gives understanding that God created the world and is sovereign. His wisdom isn’t so much about taught things but revealed truth. It is also about knowing why I am here and have a priority to live a godly life, and knowing that I can do whatever He asks, even things that seem beyond my abilities. I also know that this is not about my IQ.

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:14–16)

Those without Christ usually consider biblical truth as foolish or cannot make sense of it. This explains why, and why I cannot take credit for being able to know God’s ways are wise and good. However, I do know that spending lots of time in the Bible builds my understanding. As the psalmist says,

Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. (Psalm 119:97–101)

Yesterday I sat next to a man in an airplane who uses his wisdom to rid people of fear and other emotional problems. He is an expert in how the human brain works, but also understands NT principles. This conversation was incredible because of how we understood each other. He wrote down my examples and stories. At one point he said something that reminding me of a rather obscure author’s work and I asked if he knew that author. He reached into his carry-on and pulled out that man’s latest book. Upon reflection, it seemed as if the mind of Christ was involved in our exchange rather than personal opinions or educational tidbits.

Lord, You often amaze me. To realize that any wise thoughts I have or hear from others is from You gives me a huge sense of Your incredible grace. You spoke the world into existence. You created sunsets and orchids and dancing horses, butterflies and clouds, mountains and waterfalls, wise elders and wiser children, and You share your wisdom with sinners who repent. I am in awe of You.

STUDY and FOLLOW GOD’S WILL: Ephesians 5:17–18; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; 1 Thessalonians 5:18; 1 Peter 2:13–15; 1 Peter 3:17; 2 Peter 3:9. 

 

No comments: