January 22, 2023

Praying for Others

 

For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, (Ephesians 1:15–16)

The list of spiritual gifts in Romans 12 describes motivations that affect areas of interest when God’s people serve Him. In my studies of these gifts and their use in ministry, I found tests that help Christians know their most dominant gifts and how to use them. For instance, my top two are teaching and prophecy (usually called discernment). These gifts bring out the desire that people think and act biblically because they are centered on biblical principles. However, apart from the Holy Spirit, I have no ability to make that happen. For that reason, prayer is not only important but necessary.

MacArthur writes that love for other Christians is as much a mark of true faith as love for God. The above verses tell how Paul prayed for those who love and trust God. Faith affirms the person and work of Christ, and obedience affirms our love for Him. “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)

Loving others like God loves us means wanting God’s eternal and absolute best for them. All seven motivational gifts are ways to express that love. Serving them, encouragement, providing necessities, preaching, teaching, comforting, all are expressions of love, usually in sacrificial ways. Love cost God something and it costs us our time, effort, and resources. This is the mark of truth faith that signifies the reality of who we are:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34–35)

No matter which of the gifts are dominant motivators, prayer is vital. I can teach the words but cannot make anyone believe them or live by them. Prayer is asking God to do His work in their lives. It is also praising God for their spiritual growth and their faith.

Letting people know I am praying for them is also important. I know that from being on the receiving end as well as hearing the response of those who hear that from me.

Lord Jesus, my prayer list is long. Sometimes that alone is a deterrent to skip praying. Unanswered prayer is also discouraging, and the other responsibilities of life distract me. However, I am reading a book called “Talking with God” and today’s portion was about the importance of intercession and how God uses prayers to change lives. The need is great. What better thing can I do to occupy my mind and time than to “make mention” of Your people in my prayers! Thank You for continually reminding me and thank You for the constant ‘surprises’ along the way as You grant me the joy of seeing what You are doing in the lives of those on my list.

MacArthur’s suggestion for further study is an excellent suggestion also for the way to pray for others. He says: Read Philippians 1:9–11 and Colossians 1:9–14 and asks what requests and concerns did Paul express in his prayers? Do your prayers reflect Paul’s priorities?

PRAY: Using the above passages as guides, intercede for others as I remember them in my prayers.

 

 

No comments: