January 10, 2023

Living to the Glory of God

 

The mother of four delightful children asked them what was important to their lives. The oldest in her teens said music. The next one said outdoor sports. The third one replied science, particularly birds. The youngest replied, “cookies.”

We chuckled yet agree on the importance knowing God’s will — that in our various life pursuits, we aim to glorify the One who gave us life . . .

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. (Ephesians 1:3–6)

Years ago in a far-east land we saw people place food in shrines to please their gods. I didn’t know whether to cry or be angry. One time Jesus’ disciples wanted to have “fire to come down from heaven” and consume those who rejected Him, but  Jesus rebuked them. Wrath is not necessarily helpful, nor are tears. Yet knowing that their gods do nothing for them, and knowing that they know nothing about the Giver of life nor the grace He shows even to them, makes me sad.

God wants me to have a passion for His glory. The angels declared it when Jesus was born: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” Also, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” Even wild beasts honor God, as should His chosen people (Isaiah 43:20-21).

The question is, how do I do it? Is it by preaching like Billy Graham, or teaching children the Bible, or writing about His greatness? Or singing gospel songs or leading worship teams? God says: “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” I’m to glorify Him in my thoughts, words, deeds, and walk worthy of my calling so “that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified.” The goal is that others see His character in my life, His goodness and grace. I’m to be a vessel for His glory in every part of life.

My word for this year is FOCUS and I’ve certainly learned that focusing my mind and my actions is a difficult challenge. My to-do list is long and distracts me. That large and challenging jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table distracts me. There is nothing wrong with puzzling, yet it can be an excuse for avoiding vital responsibilities. FOCUS rings in my ears alerting me to listen to the Holy Spirit rather than ‘just one more piece.’

Glorifying God is a challenge but also a great privilege. Imagine the goodness of honoring Jesus in all areas of my life. My devotional says to find an accountability partner. My problem is finding someone who will do it without being so convicted themselves about this challenge that they back out from holding me accountable!

Lord, I know that Your Spirit can remind me to focus every minute of every hour. You can put ways to glorify You in my heart and mouth and life. You can shape me into a person whose main goal is putting You at the front of all things. I’m open to that. Help me focus to that end —Your glory — and to making it the standard for all that I do, including the ordinary stuff, like eating and drinking.

MORE: Exodus 33:12–34:9, 1 Corinthians 6:20; 10:31, 1 Peter 2:12; 4:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:5-12, Luke 2:14; 9:54, Psalm 19:1, Matthew 5:16,

 

No comments: