January 23, 2023

Knowing what God gave me affects how I pray . . .

 

In learning how to pray for others, I’ve noticed how often my prayers fall into the category of a ‘gimme’ list, without praise or confession or even thinking about the needs of others. It took me a while to learn the priority — prayer is about the relationship and about knowing God more intimately. When Paul prayed for the Christians at Ephesus, his priority was: “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him” (Ephesians 1:17) In essence, this is how Jesus also describes salvation: “And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” (John 17:3)

Learning how to love others is related. My husband sets a good example. When I meet new people or talk with friends, so often I want to tell them about my life, but hubby is full of questions and interest in their life. I’m learning that loving others is being interested in them, as Paul wrote:

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3–4)

John MacArthur, the devotional writer, tells a story that illustrates the root of the problem. He says my Your inheritance in Christ is so vast and profound that it cannot comprehended apart from God’s enabling.

The late newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst invested a fortune in collecting great works of art. One day he read of an extremely valuable work that he determined to add to his collection. His agent searched the galleries of the world but to no avail. Finally, after many months of effort and at great expense, the agent found the prized artwork. It had been stored in one of Hearst’s own warehouses all along!

In life and in prayer, I realized that I was searching for the love and acceptance I already had in Jesus Christ. Once that was understood, I began seeing the need to focus on others and pray asking God to reveal to them their spiritual riches.

Loving others requires humility. As He shows me my helplessness, I feel a greater need to know Him more deeply, and as that happens, my sense of helplessness grows along with my faith to trust His grace and to seek Him continually so that I can live as His child. The fullness of what I have in Him means I must ‘show up’ for devotions and prayer with humility, realizing my weakness but also knowing I have His power. I don’t want to be like those children who always ask for more stuff and never think about being thankful without using it as a ploy to ‘gain’ even more.

Lord Jesus, knowing You is great riches. Your promises and care are incredible. To continually want more and to never stop asking without praise or a thankful heart is so self-centered. Your Word shows me the priority in prayer should not focus only on temporal needs and comfort but asking that all should know You in a deeper way. Also, being like You means considering the needs of others more important than my own, certainly more important than continually pleading for better this and more of that. Confidence and the ability to love others comes from knowing that You meet all my needs, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual. I can review Your promises with praise and a thankful heart — and throw away that ‘gimmie’ list.

MORE: Read the following considering what is mine because of Jesus and ask myself if I really need what I think I need. Psalm 29:11; Isaiah 26:3; 41:10; Matthew 6:25–34; John 14:2–3, 13–14; 1 Corinthians 10:13; 2 Corinthians 1:3–4; Philippians 4:6–7; 1 John 1:9; 5:11–12; Revelation 21:3–4. Also ask Him to show me where my life falls short of demonstrating faith in what the Lord says is already mine.

 

 

No comments: