January 18, 2023

To God be the Glory

 

In (Christ) we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:11–12)

Not long ago, a Christian friend said that in Christ there is power so that no one has to get sick. She was annoyed with those who do get sick. I’ve heard others speak of God’s goodness in similar terms, as if health, wealth and all things are a given.

But what about those who are poor or injured, or those who are persecuted, even killed because they believe in Jesus? He said persecution is a blessing, even a cause for joy. James also wrote:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)

The NT tells how Christian maturity comes through trouble, yet many Christians think trouble is a tool of the devil to rob them of God’s blessings.

Today’s devotional uses Ephesians to show that in salvation and in all things, God is preeminent and deserves all credit and all glory. Certainly, I benefit greatly from salvation, but God’s glory is the primary issue. The NT clearly shows that I was redeemed that God might be glorified. That means it should be my focus, no matter my circumstances, and all that I do is for His glory. Some examples: 

In my work: In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

In speaking truth: The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. (John 7:18)

In how I die: This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God . . .  And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.” (John 21:19)

In unity with others: That together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 15:6)

In my body: For you were bought with a price. So, glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:20)

In everything I do: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

In how I affect others: Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. (1 Peter 2:12)

In suffering: Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. (1 Peter 4:16)

The devotional points out that our culture is self-centered yet some of this self-seeking and self-glorifying mentality has crept into the church, even into the gospel. MacArthur writes how sin is often defined by how it affects man, rather than how it dishonors God. Salvation is often presented as a means of receiving what Christ offers, not as a mandate to obey what He commands. This is called the ‘prosperity’ gospel, shifting the focus from God’s glory to what God could do to make us happy.

Paul defined the purpose of salvation: “ . . . But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13–14) I was saved to point others to God.

Jesus, I know that all things work together for my good yet that ‘good’ is defined that I am being transformed into Your image, not a better and more powerful version of myself. I am not to be using You! Instead, I am Your servant and my task is to glorify You in all things — because You are preeminent in all things! May I see Your power and might in contrast to my own weak helplessness and point to the wonder that You are rather than boasting of what You have done — as if it were done to glorify me. And I’ve also learned that being joyful is not about my health, or wealth, or anything else — it is about You being in control.

CONSIDER: Job 38:1–42:6 and note how God convinced Job of His surpassing knowledge and power. Also note Job’s response! OR look at Paul’s life in 2 Corinthians 4:7-12 noticing what he experienced and how he understood the reason for his trials.

 

No comments: