January 2, 2023

 

Undeserved, amazing peace . . .

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 1:2)

Peace is often thought of as an absence of conflict, a feeling of well-being because there are no problems that disturb it. However, the Bible defines peace as being more powerful than serenity. It is rooted in God, who is called “the God of peace” and in His goodness and sovereign power. Because I know that God is involved in all that happens, I can be at peace, not anxious or in fear.

What causes anxiety and ruins peace? In Eden, it was a lie from Satan. He suggested to Eve that God did not say what He said or really wanted the best for her. His tactics haven’t changed much. He does whatever he can to make me think contrary to God’s Word and doubt that God is involved in my life. Lack of faith in God’s goodness and sovereign power will ruin my sense of well-being and rob me of peace. It leads me to depend on externals rather than Him and His promises, and to rely on myself and my own judgment. In other words, if peace is missing sin is likely present. The Bible says, “Whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.”

Sin and peace cannot walk together — unless I’m totally deluded that my sin is okay, yet even then, that peace is fake and nothing like the peace of God. In fact, God’s peace is often a surprise, even a mystery:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6–7)

God’s peace is incomprehensible. It simply does not make sense. Why should I feel at peace with chaos all around me? Why should I experience peace when my husband was ill to the point of death? Or my children were in physical danger? Or when life is full of losses, or negatives? This peace from God makes no sense during those times when many people are taking valium, drinking to forget their problems, ill from stress, or even choosing suicide.

Sometimes this peace is accompanied by a joy so great that I feel ‘survivor’s guilt’ when listening to the news or someone’s sad news. Our Christmas was blessed, but people died in snowbanks in their cars. I cried, yet that peace would not go away even then. I’m thankful for many blessings such as healthy and productive children. Yet other families are weeping with kids in jail, on drugs, or running away from home. Who am I to be so blessed?

The Bible speaks of grace along with peace. Grace is ‘God’s riches at Christ’s expense’ — it is God’s great kindness toward those who are undeserving of His favor but who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ. MacArthur says, “grace is the fountain, and peace is the stream.” Recipients of His grace enjoy “peace with God” because we are reconciled to Him through faith in Jesus. I will never experience His wrath. I also have the “peace of God” — again His amazing way of assuring me that He is in control even amid difficult circumstances. No matter what this new year brings, it will bring peace to God’s people. Our part is refusing to allow sin or difficulties to sway our total trust in the reality that God is God!

I could list reasons to be anxious. Just that long to-do list is enough to mess with my peace, never mind the inevitable interruptions and life’s unexpected surprises. The daily news can do it, or the winter weather, or contrary people . . . or a whole list of stuff. But God says to bring all those things to Him, and be thankful, because “He can do exceedingly abundantly more than I can ask or imagine” as He guards my heart and mind with His amazing peace.

This makes application simple: Sometimes I feel like ‘God’s spoiled brat’ and must never take credit for His gracious blessings. Instead, I must pray about everything and be thankful, knowing that God is taking care of everything and is my sole source of peace.

REFERENCES: John 16:33, Romans 5:1; 14:23, Ephesians 1:2;3:20, Philippians 4:4-7

No comments: