January 12, 2023

Grace is free — for us . . .

 

“In [Christ] we have redemption through His blood.” (Ephesians 1:7)

My husband reminded me this morning that most people assume that giving their lives totally to Christ means they will never have any fun. He added, “That is such a lie.” I checked the Word of God; it  speaks of joy and peace hundreds of times. I must admit that giving up control to another is difficult whether it is government leaders, police, doctors and in relationships of all kinds including marriage. Most resistance to submission boils down to a lack of trust as well as ‘I’ll do it myself.’

Most people categorize sin putting personal pride and stubbornness near the bottom of the list or calling it “it’s just the way I am.” Otherwise, sin is not a grave issue in a culture flaunts and peddles those sins we think are worse than our own . . . even if we are entertained by some of it through television, movies, music, or looking down our noses at others who do things and thinking, “I would never do that.”

When I flirt with sin, I feel the reaction of God in my spirit. He reminds me of the price He paid to redeem me, “not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.” (1 Peter 1:18–19) While focusing on a violent physical death can be a vile thing, turning my mind to what Jesus experienced on the cross to redeem me is a strong reminder of how serious sin is to God. He said, “ . . . without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.” (Hebrews 9:22).

When I read the OT passages about lambs put to death so people could experience forgiveness as they waited for the promised Messiah, “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” comes to mind. I also think of the times I’ve held a little lamb in my arms and felt its tenderness and vulnerability. What could be more vile than killing a helpless and sinless Lamb, and yet God ordained it — for us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

This great gift demonstrates God’s attitude toward sin but also His great love for sinners. I could not redeem myself from falling short of His glory, but He could do it and did do it. Christ’s sacrifice was perfect, complete, and once for all. Nothing more is needed other than my response. I am to offer Him the sacrifice of praise and offer myself to Him. “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” (Romans 12:1) His redeeming grace is free to sinners such as I, but its cost to God is without measure.

Lord, a short life of doing my own thing without You and disguising that as “fun” does not compare with all that You have done for me. Your death was utterly unselfish, utterly for every person. Your grace is offered freely. Your arms are open even to those who spit in Your face. No one and nothing else promises me eternal life but You. Nothing can compare to the deep joy of knowing You, being in Your presence, hearing Your voice. You guard my heart. You keep me aware of temptation and Your power to overcome it with its deception. When I do falter, you remind me: “If I confess my sins, You are faithful and just to forgive my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9, personalized) and you keep me close to the cross by Your amazing grace.

READ: John 3, Ephesians 1-3, Hebrews 10:8-18,

 

No comments: