January 6, 2023

“In Christ” isn’t simply a belief system . . .

 

“God . . . has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3.

Many people believe that one’s religious preference is irrelevant because all religions eventually lead to the same spiritual destination. However, Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) His claim cannot be ignored. The entire NT supports and explains it. “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)

The devotional for today says Christianity isn’t simply a belief system—it’s a whole new identity. Being united with Christ changes who I am because I am “in Christ” something like putting a piece of paper between the pages of a book; that paper is ‘in the book.’ Yet that is hardly adequate to explain what God has done in redeeming His people.

But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. (1 Corinthians 6:17)

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. (Romans 8:9)

The phrase “in Christ” occurs thirteen times in Ephesians. The first verse addresses this letter to those who are faithful in Christ. The third verse says we are blessed in Christ. Verse 9 says God’s purposes are set forth in Him and 12 declares that those who hope in Christ bring praise to Him.

God’s power is revealed in Christ when He raised Him from the dead, yet the startling truth is that we have also been raised up and seated in heavenly places with Him! How can that be? I’m still here, as are many who hope in Him. This must be understood in terms of status not location, eternity not time. That is, the eternal God declares that from His perspective, I am already there with Jesus. He has united me with His Son “so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.”

For the present location and time, I am here with things to do: “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

How did God do that? He says, “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.” and that both Jews and Gentiles are heirs in this union. God’s promises are ours because we are in Christ and that happens when we believe  the gospel. It is a faith thing on our part, but according to God’s eternal purpose. Therefore we say, “to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”

Being “in Christ” is spiritual reality that affects the way we live. Galatians 2:20 declares, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” This new life comes with new thoughts, new ways of living. For instance:

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:29–32)

Before Christ came into my life, I was in bondage to my sinful I-wants, spiritually dead, and without hope. Then Jesus arrived and I became a new creation. God reconciled me to Himself. He also gave me the ministry of reconciliation; that is, telling others that “in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them . . . .” He took my sin, died for it, and gave me His righteousness. I had much to learn about mind renewal and transformation and now realize this is a life-long process, but also realize that in Christ I am His child, an heir of God, and eternally secure. As MacArthur says, what He is, I am. What He has, I have. Where He is, I am.

My response? I’m to “let my light shine before others, so that they may see my good works and give glory to my Father who is in heaven.” For that, I pray for a shiny life today and a deeper understanding of the reality of being in Christ.

MORE: Matthew 5:16, 2 Corinthians 5:17–19, Ephesians.

 

No comments: