January 27, 2023

God’s Power — in all things

 

Before we left on holidays, the airlines were hindered by computer malfunctions and severe weather. Many flights were delayed or cancelled, and thousands of travelers were stranded, some of them on a plane or in the airport. Christmas celebrations were put on hold. Business meetings and family gatherings were disrupted. Thousands of pieces of luggage were lost.

With all that happening, we spent some time asking God to bless our trip. I distinctly recall praying that He would take care of every detail, from beginning to end. We asked for safety, on time arrivals and departures, that our luggage would make it with us, even that we sat beside people of His choosing. Right down to the last detail, including the taxi ride to and from the airport, and travel at our destinations, went perfectly. We had no problems at all. Only one . . . eating in restaurants gave me a few extra pounds so that battle begins. I will now ask for a decreased appetite!

Paul prayed for the believers at Ephesus with a focus on knowing God’s care and promises. He wrote:

“ . . . having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might” (Ephesians 1:18–19)

To this, the devotional writer says, “The same divine power that created, sustains, and controls the universe secures your salvation. God’s power is awesome!”

Indeed! I see it in the night sky, the created world around me, the endless energy of a child, the beauty of flowers and trees and the smiling eyes of others. I see it in his incredible care as He answers simple prayers to the nth degree. I wholeheartedly agree with David’s words:

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name. (1 Chronicles 29:11–13)

In the NT passage for today, the focus is on “the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe” and the direction I hear is to pray that all Christians, me included, will understand this wonderful reality. God is at work, whether I can see it or not. Peter wrote about it too:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:3–9)

In thinking about what he says, I realize that even if our flights had been delayed, our luggage lost, and we had been hit with several other travel disasters, that does not mean God has abandoned us. He promises to “never leave or forsake” His people. He also promises to use “all things together for our good” and in troubled times He is faithful to His Word. This weekend could be filled with stuff that tests the genuineness of my faith, but by His power and grace, I can still believe and rejoice. Nothing can separate me from His love (Romans 8:38-39).

Lord, forgive me for the times I utter complaints or get upset because I’ve lost my focus on who You are and Your power to save me and care for me. Fill me with Your Spirit that I can walk this day in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, no matter what the day may bring. Help me focus on You and the security I have in Christ.

MORE: Read 1 Chronicles 29:10–22, noting how David praised God and noting how he and the people responded. Then pray that prayer in a personal manner and from the heart.

 

No comments: