January 9, 2023

Living as God’s child . . .

“. . . He chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will . . . .” (Ephesians 1:4–5)

My grandfather came from Scotland and wound up farming in western Canada. His three sons and three daughters married and began farming near his farm. My parents even had their home in the same yard. All six had children and we grew up together as friends as well as cousins. My sense of family is positive.

When God adopted me into His forever family, it took me a while to gain that same sense. My first church had rules that excluded me. I moved many times, and each church was a unique experience. Finally, we attended one that made me feel I was in a family. The church we attend now has a very deep sense of family. Our brothers and sisters in Christ are as close as any blood relatives. God definitely grants His children all the rights and privileges of family membership.

In the OT, the people of God were not chosen because of anything they did to deserve it:

It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the Lord set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the oath that he swore to your fathers, that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. (Deuteronomy 7:7–8)

It is the same in the NT. God’s family exists because of His love, a love that seeks our eternal best regardless of the cost. This love is sacrificial, without selfish motives, giving and forgiving rather than receiving or condemning.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life . . . . Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends” (John 3:16; 15:13).

I can confidently draw near to Him and even call Him “Abba, Father” with Abba being the Aramaic equivalent of “Daddy” or “Papa.” While my father was good to me and wanted the best for me, he has passed on. However, my heavenly Father knows me like no other could know me and is always with me. His love is different that even the best human love and affection.

The most amazing truth about His love is that He pours it into my heart through the Holy Spirit and says this is given that I might love others as He loves me, wisely, sacrificially, giving, forgiving, unconditionally, and without selfish motives. Seems like the tallest of orders, but as 2 Peter 1 says, I have been given everything I need to live the way He wants me to live.

What does this love look like? Jesus demonstrates it perfectly and the familiar NT version describes it well:

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends . . . (1 Corinthians 13:4–8)

Apply this to a conversation with someone. It means I’m listening without being eager to put in my own two-cents worth. When the other person shares an accomplishment, there is no thought of playing ‘can you top this.’ I’m not thinking I’m smarter or better in any way, and I do not interrupt them. I don’t try to make the conversation go where I want it to go, and I do not get irritated if the other person drones on, is boring, or repeats themselves as if I don’t get what they are saying. If they are unfairly critical of me, this love does not resent it. If they talk about the wrong things others do, I look for truth that will help them see the truth of God in it (such as God’s ability to use all things, even wrong things, for good). God’s love endures, trusts, hopes without hiccups or hesitations. It is an attitude that always enhances His glory and grace.

 Today’s devotional says to ask Him to lead me to someone to whom I can demonstrate this love. It does not tell me to ask for a greater love. God has already poured that into me. I’m supposed to let it pour through, share it because I have it. I’m also to consider other Christians as close relatives, and if they are not Christian, as if they someday will be. Oh Lord, may Your Spirit shine through me, no matter what I am doing or who I am with.

STUDY: Hebrews 10:19-25, 1 John 4:16-21, 1 Corinthians 13, Romans 8:14-17, John 13:34-35. 

 

No comments: