February 11, 2023

What to do with the sin I see . . .

 

When God reveals the sin in my life to me, I know what I’m supposed to do: “If I confess my sins, He is faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). This is personal; I cannot pray that when I see sin in the life of others, at least the last part. They must see and confess their own sin. But what if they do not see it?

Convicting others of sin is the work of the Holy Spirit. While God instructs us with: “If anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted” (Galatians 6:1) the last part is easy to ignore. We are all in the same boat in this battle against sin. It is too easy to fall into a ‘holier than thou’ attitude when I see sin in someone else. I’m sure this is part of what Jesus had in mind when He said:

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.” (Matthew 7:1–5)

Often the things I see in others are simply reflections of what I don’t like in my own life. That ‘log’ keeps me from seeing clearly, from knowing how to help someone else with the same sin. This is a big reason for keeping short accounts with God, for asking Him to:

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalm 139:23–24)

As Christians, we are to put others first, but not in this case. I must deal with my own issues, or I will not have any right or ability to help others with the same issue. While I can share my problem with them, I’ve no ground to talk about their problem — with them or with anyone else.

Today’s devotional is about the joy of intercession, of praying for others, taking concerns to God rather than stew over them or share my concerns with anyone else. As Paul wrote, I’m to “thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy” (Philippians 1:3–4).

The devotional writer tells of a nurse who used her hands to represent those needing prayer. She knew the joy of praying for others as did Paul. He did what he told his readers to do: “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4). James agreed and wrote this:

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (James 5:16)

The devotional writer rightly says that lack of Holy Spirit joy debilitates compassion and hinders prayer. I can come to the Lord accusing others of sin, which is something Satan does (see Revelation 12:10) instead of interceding for them, which is what Jesus does.

Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. (Romans 8:34)

My prayers and my words ought to be full of praise to God for His goodness to others, as well as for their needs and full of thankfulness for what He is doing, not criticism for what people are doing . . . as if God does not already know all about that. Never forget that Jesus died for those things — rather than shaking a finger at them.

Lord, You show me reflections of myself that bother me. I need to deal with that. You also show me needs in the lives of others. I need to intercede for them. Give me clarity, that I don’t mix the two, get annoyed with Christians who sin, think I am better than they are, or worse yet, gossip with other about what You have revealed to me for intercession, not for any other reason. Thank You for Your unconditional love. Grant me more of that so I may glorify You.

STUDY: Read John 17, Christ’s intercessory prayer for His disciples. What is eternal life? What was Christ’s mission? How does the world react to us? What is the best way to convince people that God sent Jesus?

 

No comments: