February 7, 2023

Questions about Generosity

 

Recently my husband gave money to a worthy need and when another Christian became aware of it, he was told the donation should have been made through the church so he would get a tax receipt. My hubby was not interested.

Google tells me that in the rare cases when people freely give of themselves, it's assumed that the motivating factor is either a reward, recognition, or greater social status.” While the Bible encourages giving, the Lord wants a different motivation than any of those.

If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:3)

John 3:16 is well-known. God loved so He gave. We are told to live and love as Jesus did, even if it costs us our lives. And if our giving is not motivated by love, it is worthless. The Philippian church set an example of generosity. It was in loving sacrifice, and they did what Jesus said His followers should do:

“When you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you . . . . You received without paying; give without pay. (Matthew 6:2-4; 10:8)

Jesus commended a widow who gave more out of her poverty (only two pennies) than others did out of their riches because her donation cost her all she had. The Bible commends sacrificial giving. While God promises to supply all our needs, the spirit of giving is not about using it to manipulate God so we can become wealthy. God isn’t into supplying greed or justifying the love of money or praise from those who see the size of our offering!

On the other hand, could it be good stewardship to receive tax deductions for our giving? It could mean more funds at our disposal and more to give, but motives can be tricky. Many people and organizations make charitable donations for the sole purpose of not paying taxes.

Biblical instruction on our attitude toward money is easy to find, particularly when it comes to paying taxes to the government, even if it is an unpopular government. However, the NT says governing authorities are God’s servants and we are to honor them:

One must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience. For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed. (Romans 13:5–7)

Paying taxes is not sinful. Finding tax loopholes might be good stewardship or it might be greed. I cannot judge the motives of the one who told us to get a tax receipt, nor can I judge my hubby for making a sacrificial gift without concern for a tax receipt. I can only think that I need to watch my own heart. Do I give to impress others? Do I give to impress God so I can get something back? Do I give knowing that if I need whatever I gave away God will fill in the blank spot? God knows all these things.

Lord, I just got a big check in the mail. I’m wondering what to do with it. I could put it into an interest earning investment, give ten percent to the church, donate it all to a needy cause, or spend it all on myself. I need Your wisdom to sort out all the thoughts running through my head. All I have is from You, and it is Yours. I conclude that it is better to give a little in love than a lot for recognition or any sort of personal gain. Give me the right motives along with willing generosity and show me what Your will is on this matter.

MORE: Read 1 Corinthians 9:1–14, 2 Corinthians 9:6–14, and 1 Timothy 6:6–9 and listen to what the Lord says to me. How am I to apply His attitudes and principles to my financial practices?

 

 

No comments: