February 24, 2023

Knowing the Way

 

In meandering through social media posts, most are silly, irrelevant, or even fabrications, but sometimes one pops out as an important truth. This reminds me of a Christian education course that stressed, “All truth is God’s truth.” That is, the source may not be a Bible verse, but biblical truth is expressed in the quote or idea.

The problem with finding truth that way is a great need for discernment. Some ideas might seem right, “but its end is the way to death.” (Proverbs 14:12 and 16:25) “The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.” (Proverbs 18:17)

Discernment is sometimes hard to come by. Besides, I’m a hard sell. By that, I mean the harder someone tries to convince me, the more I resist their pitch. Is it true? Or does it only seem right? From the verse that prefaces today’s devotional, if I have any discernment, it is likely because people are praying for me!

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, (Colossians 1:9)

The original readers were challenged by false teachers who tried to convince them that Christ is not enough for salvation. They appealed to our human desire to ‘do something’ to earn favor with God. However, that desire could easily be tied to this OT definition of sin:

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6)

Sin is simply going my way instead of God’s way. It is ignorance or rejection that there is a God, or refusal to admit I am a sinner, or rejection of God’s remedy for sin — which is the Gospel of Jesus who died for my sin, was buried, and rose again. My way of doing things can look good to me, even after salvation. The notion that I can do nothing apart from Christ is correct, but it can be unappealing, even a blow to my ego.

The alternative is being controlled by the knowledge of God’s will through the Word of God — as the Spirit of God imparts it. Human reasoning and ‘good’ ideas don’t cut it. Only God can transform my life, no matter my abilities, education, determination, self-esteem, or any other ‘positives’ because only God has that power. If I do His will, it must be for His glory, not mine.

MacArthur rephrases Colossians 1:9 this way: “I pray that you will be continually controlled by the life-transforming knowledge of God’s will, which the Holy Spirit imparts as you prayerfully study and meditate on God’s Word.”

Scripture and the Holy Spirit tell me how to live and give me the power to obey. It doesn’t take long to discover that philosophies and other alternatives do not work, or if they do, it is because the Spirit uses ‘all truth’ to teach and enable me. This is never the intent of those who post words that sound true and might be true, but I need to discern the intent, or even more, what that ‘cute’ saying does to me. Does it bypass faith in Christ and elevate me? Does it appeal to that desire to do it my way?

For example, I did an online search for “be kind quotes” and found many. Most were not from Christians and hinted that doing kindness would benefit me in some way, like winning friends or being a more important person. In contrast, the NT says kindness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit that comes from “God our Savior” to whom belongs all glory. I wonder then how the ‘kindnesses’ of those without faith in Christ can be the same as the kindness that comes from Christ? 

This reminds me of the woman who said, “I love to help people because it makes me feel so good” which makes me aware that motivations to do good can be selfish, whereas the kindness of God involves eternal ramifications for those who experience it.

Doing the will of God is not about what it does for me, even though it usually feels good later. Instead, obedience is about glorifying God and loving others. The difference may be invisible to undiscerning eyes, but Paul’s prayer makes it plain that doing His will requires more than an effort to replicate His actions. I need Jesus or all that I do is a waste.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:4–5)

Jesus, I am so grateful that You are sufficient for every need. Give me all the discernment necessary to separate true from nice-sounding but misleading stuff. You know my heart. Guard me from trying to do my own thing rather than listening to You.

READ: John 15. What does it say about Jesus and His role? What does it say about me and what He wants from me? 

 

 

No comments: