February 1, 2023

Joy from Jesus

 

A man in our church is always joyful. BT has several medical issues that are painful, but he is always smiling and saying ‘just fine’ with contagious joy. He shares that his joy isn’t about physical comfort.

The Bible is clear; the source of joy is the Holy Spirit, a joy beyond the usual feel-good emotion that comes with successes or good health or any other external source. It is a deep sense of well-being that God is in control. It is like the “peace of God which surpasses all understanding” in Philippians 4:7. It even comes as a surprise and can be ours when life is filled with problems. It delivers a sense of God, of stability, and is sometimes so strong that it can make us feel giddy.

The Bible tells us to be filled with the Spirit (see Ephesians 5:18) because He wants us to share in His joy and only the Holy Spirit can give it to us:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)

Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory. (1 Peter 1:8)

The Spirit gives this joy and peace to the point that if we are not filled, we do not experience or share in this ‘fruit’ and instead feel something else. The OT speaks of that inner turmoil this way: “But they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit; therefore, he turned to be their enemy, and himself fought against them.” (Isaiah 63:10)

In the NT, God says we must not “grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption” (Ephesians 4:30) nor “quench the Spirit” (1 Thessalonians 5:19). From personal experience, I know that when He is grieved, so am I, and when He is quenched, the fruit He produces is gone, particularly the joy, but also the other manifestations of His fullness. This was the experience of David when he sinned with Bathsheba and later prayed that God would not put him out of His presence or take the Holy Spirit from him, but would “Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” (Psalm 51:12)

Joy’s sustaining power is described in Acts 13 when the disciples were persecuted and driven out of Antioch. “But they shook off the dust from their feet against them and went to Iconium. And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 13:51–52)

Later Paul was put in prison and wrote to those concerned about him: “Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise, you also should be glad and rejoice with me.” (Philippians 2:17–18) Like our friend BT, he understood that God’s joy is not about circumstances.

But joy is about obedience, as the ‘do not grieve’ and ‘do not quench’ verses suggest. What makes the Spirit grieve or stifle His activity? Disobedience, selfishness, sin — all those attitudes and actions that are opposed to His fruit of love, joy, peace, etc. I know that if my joy is gone, I’ve something to confess, a sin that has blocked the Spirit from producing the fruit of joy in me. Instead, I feel His grief and sorrow.

Much of Christendom and all of those outside of Christ depend on externals for joy, not realizing that the joy of the Lord is not the same as the glee of success. This joy is a deep sense that God is in control, no matter what is happening. That is why James could write this outrageous statement:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. (James 1:2–3)

All joy in trials? Our friend BT knows it. It can happen, not because of any other reason than learning to drop self-effort and disobedience and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Lord, sometimes I don’t even notice Your joy has left. I can get so wrapped up in whatever is going on that I miss realizing that I’m no longer trusting You or that I have an ungodly attitude, or have said, done, or even thought things contrary to Your will. May Your Spirit strengthen my discernment of personal sin, encourage me to keep short accounts with You, and increase my godliness. This isn’t just about joy, but about loving others and being at peace — with all those attitudes and behavior that glorifies You.

READ: Philippians noting what it says about joy. Also consider what I rely on for joy and what robs me of it the most. Get on my knees!

 

 

No comments: