February 23, 2023

How can anyone glorify God?

 

Many years ago, the author of the devotional I’m reading preached a sermon on how to glorify God. I listened to the tape and wondered if I was even a Christian! He focuses on that topic today, pointing out how Paul prayed that believers would abound in love, approve what is excellent, be pure and blameless and be “filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” (Philippians 1:11)

This is a tall order. One thing is certain; without the power and enablement of the Holy Spirit, no one could do it. For one thing, the Lord God is infinitely glorious in nature; who could add anything to Him? Also, His glory cannot be diminished, so it doesn’t have to be replenished or reinforced. Topping that, we are mere mortals, prone to sin and clueless about the marvel of who He is and what He is like. Do we even know His glory, never mind reflect it or point to it?

Moses asked God about this:

“Please show me your glory.” And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. (Exodus 33:18–19)

MacArthur says that God was telling Moses that His glory is the composite of His attributes. That is true, yet this response to Moses is more specific. It defines God’s goodness as glory and His Lordship or sovereign rule over all as glory, specifically when it comes to grace — that is, He will be merciful and gracious to those He chooses. For many, this is not glory but a huge problem. We ask why some and not others? Why me and not him or her?

This quality of God could be called unfair, yet He said Himself that it is His glory. While I can glorify Him by being merciful and gracious, good to others and praising God, I do not have the option to reflect His power of choice; the reason being that I have no idea how or why He picks some and not others. I only know that Jesus said:

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)

The deeper my relationship with the Lord, the more I realize that there is nothing in me worth choosing. All week I’ve struggled to keep my eyes on Him rather than focusing on my failures and flaws. He doesn’t struggle with His choices like I do. He makes them and He sticks with them — and I’m utterly astonished that He hears and answers my prayers, those uttered in His name.

As for the fruit bearing, it is apparent that love, mercy, kindness and so on are seen by others even when I am keenly aware of my lack of those things. He tells me to do what I cannot do without Him, but the doing is not for me; it is for those around me. And that they experience His fruit and see His glory in me seems impossible.

I am aware of one thing; I can verbally praise God — as the psalmist says:

Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness. (Psalm 29:1–2)

Yesterday while my hubby went into surgery, I thought of the worst and the best; he would not survive it, or God would bring him through with little pain and so on. I prayed and stewed. I asked our adult children to pray. My heart settled. The surgery happened in the early afternoon and hubby was home well before supper, without pain. Oh, some came later, but not severe. Ascribe to the LORD the glory due His name . . . “and in His temple all cry, ‘Glory’” (vs. 9)

Today’s devotional  says to examine my life and see if I glorify God. However, I’ve learned not to do that. It turns my eyes off Him and on myself — and that is a slippery slope. Instead, I say with Paul:

With me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by (anyone human). In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me . . . . the Lord . . . will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. (1 Corinthians 4:3–5)

Jesus, You bring clarity to confusion, relief from anxiety, answer prayers with surprises, and remain the same even when I am ‘all over the place’ with questions, doubts, fears, and uncertainty. Yes, strong and unquestioning faith glorifies You, yet in my weaknesses, Your glory shines too. How can that happen! You are amazing!

LOOK: Psalm 105:1-15 tells how to glorify God. Is any part of it about what I do?

 

No comments: