February 25, 2023

Eyes on His Majesty

 

Last night we watched a feature on the universe through the Hubble telescope and worshiped, ignoring the narrator who has no idea how all this came into being, nor why the galaxies swirl contrary to human logic and scientific reasoning. This morning, after singing several hymns and choruses and praising the One who created all things, I’m convinced more than ever that many Christians do not realize the importance of worship.

In Jesus’ model prayer, He begins with “Our Father” pointing to the relationship we have and how we are in the presence of our God who is “Daddy” our “Abba” then immediately He added, “Hallowed be Thy name.” I’ve started my prayers far too often with my ‘I want’ list rather than acknowledging the wonder of God.

Today’s devotional topic is “Living in a Worthy Manner” — a noble desire, yet I’m thinking of this verse:

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:18)

A worthy walk only happens to those who are beholding the glory of the Lord. If I start examining my behavior, it quickly turns from a transforming focus on Jesus to self-centered naval-gazing, guilt that I don’t measure up, even excuses for why I’m not like Jesus. I must focus on Him and let Him convict me when I fall short. Note the progression in these verses:

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. (Colossians 1:9–12)

Being first filled with the knowledge of His will means having my nose in His Word with my thoughts in line with His thoughts, not wondering how am I doing, but know what Jesus is doing and how He lives and acts. Out of that comes a worthy walk. I cannot do it if I am checking off boxes or looking in the mirror to see what is missing or what is there.

Yes, I know I have a responsibility. The NT says to obey and “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” yet it adds, “for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12–13) In this verse, “work” means putting something into effect, or accomplishing something. Obviously, it is not a DIY project, but more like letting God have His way rather than me doing the work.

It is also looking to Jesus as the guide for life by examining His life, focusing on the way He lived here and how He treated people. Eyes on Him produces decision like His:

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. (1 Peter 2:21–23)

Some interpret this idea of following Jesus as a list of rules for life. I’ve heard, “Oh, Jesus would never do that” which can slide into a legalism, a way of being ‘worthy’ by a list of do’s and don’ts rather than by being filled with the Holy Spirit and the knowledge of Jesus in a personal relationship — where I hear His voice and do what He says as a normal way of life. It isn’t about self-examination as much as keeping my heart and focus on Him.

I don’t want to split hairs, but there is a difference. When my eyes are on Him, temptation is obvious and much easier to resist. The lies of the enemy also become easier to spot and reject. The only value I’ve found in checking my walk is realizing that worthiness is totally out of my reach. My heart needs to be clinging to Jesus.

Lord Jesus, I’m thankful that being close to You gives light, not just into the wonders of who You are, but also into clearly seeing my own sin. Your invitation is to keep confessing sin, because You promise to cleanse and forgive (1 John 1:9) but also to remember that even if I miss seeing it, You are my advocate with the Father (1 John 2:1) and You are “able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through You, since You always live to make intercession for me.” (Hebrews 7:25) Thank You for drawing me close and for being my Savior and my salvation!

MORE: Read Galatians 5:19-25. What is not like Jesus? What is like Jesus? How can I be more like Him and deal with the stuff that is from my old nature? (Again, see 1 John 1:9)

 

No comments: