February 13, 2023

We do know something about the future . . .

 

Several friends tell me they read the end of a book before starting it because they enjoy finding out how the author gets there. Some tape sporting events knowing the final score, but watch it because they want to see how their favorite team overcomes the odds to win.

No one knows for certain what our real-life future holds. However, Christians have a bit of an advantage because we can read the ending of our ‘His story’ book and know that ‘Jesus wins’ — regardless of the conflict against Him. God assures us that no matter what is going on in the world now, He will eventually send Jesus here to defeat evil and rule.

Another assurance is our personal destiny. His book tells us that He makes promises and always keeps them, showing that we can trust all His promises yet unfulfilled, even this one:

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:3–6)

In our desire to be spiritually mature and totally holy, we do face frustration and discouragement. Paul said: “For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate . . . . I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand . . . . Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” yet he ended with the answer: “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” God always finishes what He starts. He keeps our eyes on Jesus . . .

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another . . . . (2 Corinthians 3:18)

The process takes time and requires my cooperation. Focusing on world news, an eye in the activities of neighbors, keeping my nose in books, and a host of other things will fill my head with many ‘unlike Christ’ stuff, but spending time with Him and in His book makes a difference. It’s also vital to confess sin as quickly as He convicts me of it. (1 John 1:9)

Another aid to spiritual growth is realizing God uses all things toward that end. Instead of fighting life’s trials, I can have the attitude of ‘I must need this, or I would not be getting it.’

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Romans 8:28–30)

Those “all things” are part of the process. If something negative happens and I complain instead of seeing God’s purpose in it, He is apt to repeat the ‘lesson’ until I finally get it. The NT has a name for this cooperation. It is expressed like this:

. . . work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life . . . .(Philippians 2:12–16)

God provides all the resources needed to live a holy life.

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. (2 Peter 1:3–4)

Jesus, I need to use those resources lest I stop looking at You. While spiritual disciplines are vital, You are my Savior and will finish that task of saving me. Staying close to You happens because Your Spirit motivates spiritual desire and obedience. I cannot save myself, but You are always here to graciously grant what I need, even though I’ve so much to learn!

MORE: Read Jude 24–25 and Hebrews 10:19–25 and list all that Jesus does to finish what He started in me.

 

No comments: