February 4, 2023

Joy in Christian relationships

 

Because I’ve moved more than thirty times, making and staying in touch with people is a challenge. However, in Christian circles, there are people that seem as if we’ve known each other always. Christian fellowship is usually like that. The eternal Holy Spirit is our common bond, and His goals tie us together in a unity that is a precious and lasting gift from God.

Paul writes of his relationship with Timothy, a younger man but dear to him for several reasons. First, he was likely instrumental in Timothy’s salvation and certainly in his spiritual growth. He also trusted him to teach others as he was taught. “That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church.” (1 Corinthians 4:17)

These two worked together to advance the Gospel. They were kinsmen who both considered themselves bond-slaves of Jesus Christ: “Timothy, my fellow worker, greets you; so do Lucius and Jason and Sosipater, my kinsmen” (Romans 16:21) and “Paul and Timothy, servants (bond-slaves) of Christ Jesus . . ..” (Philippians 1:1)

Paul also recognized Timothy’s love for others and his ability to edify their faith: “For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare” (Philippians 2:20) and “we sent Timothy, our brother and God’s coworker in the gospel of Christ, to establish and exhort you in your faith.” (1 Thessalonians 3:2)

This bond was not based on equality of skills or maturity in Christ. Timothy continued to need discipleship and instruction. He may have had problems with fear (2 Timothy 1:7-8) and with using sound words to share the truth he knew. (2 Timothy 1:13-14 and 2:15-17) Nevertheless, Paul did not neglect to stir his younger partner in the Gospel to love others and do good. (Hebrews 10:24)

As for me, I’m not like Paul yet advanced years and being a Christian for a long time puts me in a position where some of my Christian friends are also in need of discipleship and instruction. Since I am also aware of my own need, this makes our relationships mutual and more like kindred spirits than mentor/learner. I am so blessed because of God’s gift of fellow servants in Christ.

Lord God, thank You for the people in my life who pray for me, encourage me, and share truth with me. We are aware that we are not perfect, but realize that our relationship is a two-way gift from You. This week, I’ve had several people thank You for me, and it is easy to thank You for them. May we honor You in our efforts to build our friendship, but more so in our responsibility to glorify Your Name. This goal is our bond!

DO THIS: Think of at least three who are kindred spirits with me. Pray for them, but also thank them for their example to me and for sharing the same concern for the salvation and spiritual well-being of others.

 

 

No comments: