February 10, 2023

Any stinkin’ thinkin’ blocks God’s joy

 

In a recent extended conversation, the other person shared grievances and problems sprinkled with a few positive attitudes and events. Afterwards, I prayed for the problems because they are the kind only God can change, then focused on the positives, partly because they reflect God’s goodness in that person. The other reason is:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

I’m a pessimist who tends to see the worst first. My mind easily fills with what is wrong rather than that list of things God wants me to think about. This day’s devotional focuses on how to think about others based on this verse from the NT book of joy: “I thank my God in all my remembrance of you” (Philippians 1:3). The author states that a key to Christian joy is recalling the goodness of others.

Paul is the NT example. His experiences with the Philippians gave him warm thoughts toward them. There was Lydia who believed the gospel and her household was saved, and a demonic girl who was delivered, and a jailer who showed kindness to Paul and his co-workers and was saved and his household with him (Acts 16). This church supported him financially and gave him reasons for the joy of thinking about their goodness.

But what about those who reject God’s message, who sadly refuse deliverance from sin and evil powers, who are unkind and seem to do absolutely nothing true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, or worthy of praise? What about those who have no excuse for their selfish ways? God wants me to think about good things and the goodness of others, but how can I think about their ‘goodness’ when I can’t see any?

A few things come to mind. First, all people are created in the image of God. Even though their lives may be filled with sin, that image is still there, hidden under the debris. Apart from Christ, my life would be no different. Sin is sin. Great or small, it hides the One we were created to reflect. While ‘There but for the grace of God go I’ is easy to say, it also must be deeply believed.

Understanding the grace of God gives hope, not just for my eternal destiny, but for other sinners. It does not matter the size or type of sin. All that matters is that nothing is too hard for God. He can deliver anyone from sin’s bondage. That means I must pray for those who are seemingly without any goodness, not that God would strike them down but that He would display grace and mercy, just as He has done for me (and keeps doing).

Most of us have no personal knowledge of the tyrants in the world. We don’t know if they show kindness to their children, or give to a charity, or are warm-hearted about anything. However, I do know some ‘bad’ people who occasionally do ‘good’ things. Focusing and remembering their good makes praying easier and more positive.

Another thing that helps bring good thoughts is a remark made by our granddaughter a few weeks ago. She said, “Everyone wants to be loved.” Even if a person does ‘dumb’ things to gain that love, the desire for it is another reason to show them the love of God. I can focus on that need rather than criticize or look down on their ‘dumb’ stunts.

Jesus, You know how negative I can be concerning others who are seldom ‘good’ and mostly a disappointment. Help me to see them as You see them, and be thankful for glimpses of Your image through the stuff that hides it. I am no different in my battle with sin, yet I am so glad to know Your love and to be able to pass it on, not just by seeing it in others, but by giving it to those who are empty and who long to be loved, whether they act like it or not. As You said, there is no one good but God. All of us definitely need Your grace!

MORE: What does 1 Corinthians 13 say about the love of God? It is only for ‘good’ people? According to 1 John 4:7-21, why is it important to love others?

 

 

No comments: