February 20, 2023

Is it wrong to seek perfection?

 

“You are a perfectionist” my friend said, with a hint of accusation, like striving for excellence was a negative ambition. She didn’t understand that being ‘perfect’ is different from doing the best you can.

Part of my desire to do the best I can do came from my parent’s work ethic. Part of it came from the feel-good results of good marks in school, praise for other accomplishments, even the teasing of my peers if I didn’t get 100% on a pop quiz.

This morning’s devotional takes a look at striving for excellence in the most positive way possible — wanting to stand blameless before God.

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9–11)

MacArthur tells of a pilot who lost instrumentation and had no idea where he was, but he remarked, “The good news is, we have a strong tailwind and are making great time.” This is like many people who have no direction but glad to be “getting there fast.”

As for direction, I’ve never been one of those Christians with a ‘call from God’ to do a particular thing, like start a Bible school, or take the gospel to a far-off tribe. For me, walking daily, step-by-step, can seem aimless to others, but with each direction from the Lord, He wants my 100% obedience given in the best possible way that I am able — filled with His Spirit and with whole-hearted love for Him and His people, one step at a time.

The above verses describe that this is not a natural excellence that comes from human talents or traits, even though they are God-given. It is knowledge from God through His Word, discernment from the Holy Spirit so I can know good from evil and even know best from better. It is about purity of heart and motive, without selfishness or any sinful motivations. It is not about getting praise for myself but . . .

Letting my light shine before others, so that they may see my good works and give glory to my Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16, personalized)

“Excellent” in this context is not about good marks, superiority over others, or any other human measurement. It is about bearing “the fruit of righteousness” that comes from God. It is also about knowing the value of that fruit, about thinking Biblically and focusing my time and energy on what really counts. As the devotional writer says, it also involves cultivating spiritual discipline and not being controlled by emotions, whims, moods, circumstances or the pressures of peers and the world around me.

Today, I am convicted by the phrase “focusing my time and energy on what really counts.” I can rest (and need to) now and then. Sometimes I rest reading an Agatha Christie or putting together a puzzle or playing solitaire. Does that count? I spent way too much time last week with a computer problem. I know that pursuit did not lead to glory for my Father. This verse is giving me much to think about.

Lord Jesus, I know that fellowship with other believers is an excellent pursuit. So is any activity that sorts out worldly values from what You value, time spent in Your Word and reading anything that builds my faith. I’m also convinced that prayer is vital. You want me to pray alone and with others far more than I do. Give me discernment, not only in the selection of activities, but in seeing how Your grace can change even ordinary events into occasions where You can be glorified. I want to be a perfectionist when it comes to that!

“I will give thanks to you, O Lord, for though you were angry with me, Your anger turned away . . . You comfort me . . . You are my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid . . . You are my strength and my song . . . I will call upon Your name, make known Your deeds among the peoples, proclaim Your name is exalted. Sing praises to You, for You have done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth. Shout, and sing for joy, for great in our midst is our Holy God.” (Isaiah 12:1–6, personalized)

TAKE NOTE: Daniel was a man who pursued excellence. Read Daniel 1:1–2:23. How did Daniel and his three friends compare in wisdom and understanding to the magicians? What principles can I see in this narrative that apply to my life?

 

No comments: