February 12, 2023

Partners with Christ and with others . . .

 

Today’s devotional thoughts are about being in partnership with other Christians for the advancement of the gospel. Does that work well? Business partnerships are not always successful; one partner wants all the power. Or they disagree on policies and procedures. Or they do not trust each other.

None of this ought to happen in the Body of Christ, particularly with Christ as our Head. We listen to Him and will find ourselves in harmony. We attended a large church with dozens of elders who had a policy: without 100% agreement, they would not go ahead on any decision. Such unity is possible because of the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul saw it and was thankful:

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. (Philippians 1:3–5)

MacArthur describes a few ways this partnership worked in the NT. One of them is financial support. “Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.” (Romans 12:13) This verse covers the needs of leadership enabling their freedom to lead and preach. It also covers the needs of church members who focus on Christian ministry. Another aspect of this partnership is visitation in which church members don’t expect the pastor to do all the visiting!

Another part of such partnership (also translated ‘fellowship’) is supporting church leaders in their burden for their church. Paul said: “And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.” (2 Corinthians 11:28) Most people who sit in the pews have no idea of the problems facing their leaders. This devotional book and another book I’m reading about prayer often overlap. The prayer book lists the various things to pray for pastors and other leaders. It uses Scripture and outlines a couple dozen specific prayer requests, everything from their personal virtue, spiritual protection, wisdom, to asking God to enable the congregation to respect their time.

Praying is a powerful way to share in a sacred partnership with Christ and other Christians, not just pastors,  for the advancement of the gospel. Fellowship, from the Greek word koinonia, is also translated “partnership” and “participation.” We are in this together, sharing in Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Great Commission to take the gospel to others and disciple them in Christian maturity. The NT is clear that our spiritual gifts and resources are given to us for that purpose.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. (1 Corinthians 12:4–7)

The question is, what is my role in this? I cannot do all of it myself, nor can I expect others to pick up the slack when I do nothing. Knowing that I share in a sacred partnership with Christ and with others to advance the gospel is a joy, not a burden yet sometimes the joy is not realized until the task is obeyed.

Jesus, I’m thankful to be in a local church that is strong on this aspect of being a Christian community. We are encouraged in togetherness, in supporting one another in various ways, but also in not being or feeling left out or useless. Show me ways to be an encouragement to my partners in the gospel, not only the spiritual leaders, but the many ordinary folks who struggle with knowing where they fit or hesitate to take part in Your glorious plan. I am aware of Augustine‘s words: “Without God, we cannot, but without us, God will not!” But also realize I must always act according to Your direction and leading, not follow my own ‘grand’ ideas.

ALSO CONSIDER: Read Ephesians 4:11–16 and 1 Peter 4:10-11. What is the goal of Christian ministry? What is my role in achieving that goal? How can I pray for my pastors?

 

 

No comments: