February 22, 2023

Love is more than actions . . .

 

A friend once said, “Sometimes you have to act godly even when you don’t feel godly.” I’d always thought that attitude came before actions, but have learned there is a measure of truth in her remark. Faith does not depend on what ‘feels’ good nor does obedience. Case in point: Jesus in Gethsemane sweating drops of blood and saying, “Not my will, but thine be done.”

A test of faith can involve doing what God wants me to do, even when my attitude or feelings run contrary. If I don’t listen to that inner whine accusing me of being a mere doormat or a reluctant slave, God often blesses me with a godly attitude as soon as I take that first step.

Consider the sea parting. The first time it did it before the Israelites fleeing Egypt’s armies. The second time they had to first step into the water before it parted giving them a dry path. (Exodus 14, Joshua 3). This is akin to walking by faith rather than by sight. Not seeing what will happen next if I obey is a strong test of faith. Will I obey God rather than heeding everything that shouts at me to not do it?

 This is also what it looks like to abide in Christ:

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:4–5)

The part that many Christians resist is that word ‘nothing.’ How many times have I thought, ‘I must do something’ or heard other Christians say that. Maybe we do need to do something, but unless it is from a position of hearing God order it, it is still ‘nothing’ and will not accomplish anything of value. Part of abiding means listening to Jesus rather than human impulses or other noises.

I must conclude that the “fruit of righteousness” is about both attitudes and actions. Consider the list:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:22–24)

Love rarely acts without the attitude of caring for others. Joy is a faith thing, as is peace and patience; each of them is based on a knowledge of God’s power combined with trust in His sovereign wisdom. I cannot fake kindness, goodness or gentleness. Without Christ, I cannot be faithful and to act as if I am is hypocrisy. As for self-control, that does not mean self in control but self under the control of the Holy Spirit. In other words, I am doing what He wants rather than what I want. If I flunk the fruitfulness test, it is usually because I’m lacking that one thing: self-control.

MacArthur says, “Having been filled” speaks of something that happened in the past with continuing results. He means that the Holy Spirit was given to me when Jesus saved me. He bears the fruit and I clearly remember my attitude changes — love, joy and peace instead of their opposites.

Yet even now, I can block that fruit production with those opposites. I can also block it when I doubt God. However, sometimes all it takes to unplug the flow is a small act of obedience, even when I don’t feel like it. This is the power of salvation; it works even when I’m being a brat. Fruit bearing is not my doing. It “comes through Jesus Christ” because the power is His, as is the glory.

Jesus, You redeemed me that I might glorify God. The only was to do that is to trust You, abide in You, hang on to right attitudes and do the right things — as You command me and whether I feel like it or not. Today is a big test of faith in You. My hubby is having day surgery, not a huge issue but hospitals are not the safest places in the world. I’m struggling to believe that being in Christ is that safest place, but worry nags. May I abide in You and trust You to help me be a godly person, thinking and acting in faith rather than doubt. (PS, surgery done, he is home and feels good. Thank You, Jesus!)

In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let my faith be strong. In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me from fear and doubt. Incline your ear to me, and save me from selfish concern. Be my rock of refuge, to which I may continually come. You declare You are my Savior, my rock and fortress. Help me abide in You this day and always . . . (Psalm 71:1–3, personalized)

THINK ABOUT: Proverbs 15:8–9 speaks of acceptable prayer and knowing God’s love. While my righteousness is Christ, being filled with the Spirit is vital as I pray and to experience the wonder of God’s love. Drop all concerns into His care!

 

No comments: