February 9, 2023

Undeserving yet blessed . . .

 

Today’s devotional begins with “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:2) and “Nothing you face today is beyond the purview of God’s grace and peace.”

How does God always come up with a line that I need to hear? Before even starting devotions, my computer Bible program would not open. I went go to the online version to read today’s message. Just then, an important person in my life called and we talked about God and spiritual  affairs for more than an hour.

So much for my time in the Word, yet God says grace and peace are still His gifts, and He pours them out! Grace is God’s goodness at Christ’s expense. All benefits and everything I need are received by grace and I am to share that goodness and grace with others in whatever way He gives it to me:

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: (1 Peter 4:10)

Life is filled with God’s grace, all-sufficient yet corresponding to my need — from unexpected interruptions, to frustrations like a computer that acts up (until rebooted), to larger issues like finding out a neighbor was randomly stabbed to death, and the world is falling apart.

The NT associates grace with mercy, peace, and love. It is knowing that God’s joy can flow into and out of me, regardless of circumstances. Grace is mostly about knowing I don’t deserve any of it.

As for peace, today’s devotional says that Bible translators sought a word or phrase for ‘peace’ in the language of the Chol Indians of Mexico. Finally, they discovered the words for ‘a quiet heart’ that gave the meaning they were looking for.

This peace is a choice, at least for those who know Jesus. It is also related to being thankful, being in the Bible, having edifying relationships with other Christians, being full of joy, and being obedient:

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:15–17)

Grace gives that peace, yet I can turn it off by being annoyed rather than thankful, trying to fix my computer rather than finding another way to read my devotional book, refusing to talk/listen to someone with spiritual issues, turning on the news instead of letting God put songs in my heart, and being more concerned about my agenda instead of God’s will.

Grace (undeserved blessing) is behind the fact that peace is also a surprising gift from God:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6–7)

This duo of grace and peace is uncommon in those who do not know Jesus, and often missed by some who do. We need to be reminded that nothing we face is beyond His gracious gifts. I must choose to let Him bless my life rather than grumble about things that unexpectedly happen.

Jesus, You are my peace. Having You as my focus gives a peace that is not at all like the ‘peace’ that happens when everything goes the way I want it to, or the way I expect. Your grace is at work — and I need to yield to You in faith. I need to recall my mom’s mantra and make it mine. As she said, I must need this, or I would not be getting it. I thank You for grace and for the peace that comes when I yield all the negatives to Your will, remembering that You use them for my good, to build patience and to transform me to be more like You.

MORE THOUGHTS: What does the Bible say about grace and peace in these verses: John 16:33, 1 Peter 5:14, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, Hebrews 13:20–21? What does God desire for me?

 

No comments: