February 18, 2023

Always room for improvement . . .

 

The title of today’s devotional is convicting. After some success in computer problems and a few other frustrations put behind me, my emotions picked up a bit, then this: “Your prayers reveal the level of your spiritual maturity.”

I’d decided early this week to pray three times a day. Ha! It happened Monday, then the wheels fell off. This week was filled with appointments, odd interruptions, and too many entries on that bothersome to-do list. I prayed, but felt it was not enough and not with the focus prayer should have. Even more distressing is that I’ve had a couple months of amazing answers to prayer that should motivate me to pray, but must admit that many days I’m not only distracted but don’t feel like praying.

I’ve apologized to God, beat myself up, made more prayer lists, and blamed Satan for trying to stop me — only to discover that my attitude remains on resistance instead of eagerness. Then I read this:

“Scripture gives many other commands to pray, but the true test of your spirituality is your compulsion to pray, not simply your obedience to commands. As a Christian you exist in a spiritual realm in which prayer is as natural as breathing is in the natural realm. Just as atmospheric pressure exerts force on your lungs, compelling you to breathe, so your spiritual environment compels you to pray. Resisting either brings devastating results.”

This is one of those days when I feel like I need a heart transplant. Paul had the right compulsion . . .

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9–11)

Jesus told a parable to the effect that (we) ought always to pray and not lose heart. (Luke 18:1) Paul tells me to “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16–19) Peter warns that “The end of all things is at hand; therefore, be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.” (1 Peter 4:7)

I know these things, and that nothing can be accomplished without prayer. I know also that the needs are great, and that many Christians do not pray much at all. But knowing is not enough.

MacArthur writes, “The more you see life through God’s eyes, the more you are driven to pray. In that sense your prayers reveal the level of your spiritual maturity. Paul prayed with urgency day and night because he shared God’s love for His people and His concern for their spiritual maturity.”

I thought I did, or at least have grown in that way, but JM urges to examine my prayers. Are they from a sense of duty? Or compulsion? Infrequent? Brief? He asks about their content, and I do pray for world concerns, other Christians and spiritual maturity, also temporary needs, but not with the consistency or urgency that is required. The world is a mess. Christians struggle to stand for Christ. Prayer is needed.

Lord Jesus, I thank You for the privilege of talking with You and for the answers You give. I want to be the ‘prayer warrior’ that some think I am but confess to not having that ‘holy urgency’ that this daily devotional speaks about. Sometimes I say, “I know God hears and He will take care of it” and now wonder if that is a strong faith or just an excuse for not praying more. You know. If I need a greater sense of urgency to pray, then please give it to me, especially on those days that are filled with so many distractions. I need You all the time, and so do others. May my prayers please You, and not quench the work of the Holy Spirit by their absence.

THINK ABOUT: Daniel 6:1–28. What was Daniel’s pattern of prayer? What accusation did the political leaders bring against him and what was the king’s attitude toward him? How did God honor Daniel’s faith?

 

 

No comments: