February 8, 2023

Focus for today . . .

Lots on my mind this morning; the devastation in Turkey and Syria, illness and impending death in several friends, lack of faith and even occult activity in others, a multitude of stuff in my February calendar, and a difficult project on my sewing table. In days like this, I tend to want escape, do something easy, work on a jigsaw puzzle, play solitaire, read a good book. However, my word for the year is FOCUS and the Holy Spirit is telling me to do that.

The word ‘focus’ is not in most English bibles. It does compare to paying attention and that term is often repeated. Most of the OT references quote the Lord and His prophets to pay attention to what God says and don’t listen to other gods. Only one verse says to focus on my livelihood: “Know well the condition of your flocks, and give attention to your herds” (Proverbs 27:23).

A few suggest the results of paying attention to God: “ . . .  Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea” (Isaiah 48:18).

The NT says the more I focus, the more the Lord will speak to me, and the less chance that I will drift away from Him. It also says if I plan on rebuking someone, I first need to pay attention to myself and to God’s Word.

And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts (2 Peter 1:19).

Today’s devotional does not seem to address my scattered mind, but it does give me a focus by beginning with: “Faithful spiritual leaders are worthy of your appreciation and esteem” and taking note that Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi was to “all the saints” including the leaders and those who followed them. This is telling me to focus on our church, particularly the unity and submission in it and the joy it brings.

We had a special worship and prayer night on the weekend. One hundred and forty people came, many of them newcomers. The leaders gave a few instructions, then we sang and prayed after eating pizza together. It was a blessing to be there. However, before that and after it, two of the leaders shared burdens that are weighing them down. These burdens became my burdens too as I prayed for them.

When I told one of the leaders that the most I was doing in the church was praying. He was delighted to hear that, remarking that few do. Just letting him know I am praying brought joy to his face.

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. (Hebrews 13:17)

As the devotional writer says, Spiritual leadership is a sacred responsibility. Leaders are to lead, feed, and guard the flock of God, which Christ “purchased with His own blood.” They are accountable to God Himself for the faithful discharge of their duties.

I have a responsibility to obey and submit to my leaders as well as to pray for them.

Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. (Hebrews 13:7)

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. (1 Thessalonians 5:12–13)

Many people criticize and mistrust those in authority: teachers, pastors, policemen, politicians, and so on. This comes up as complaining and sometimes in violence. It weakens the ability of authorities to do good when they are continually under a barrage of criticism. As the pastor who wrote my devotion book says, “Many pastors suffer untold grief from disobedient and ungrateful people.” We know of one who committed suicide because of the way he was treated.

Jesus, the unity in our church is amazing. Our business meetings are short and sweet. Our leadership is trusted. This is a God-thing, something not seen in all the churches we’ve attended. I am thankful that our pastors and other leaders not only deserve appreciation and esteem, but get it. May that never change, yet do not let me take this for granted. Increase in me a godly attitude toward my spiritual leaders. Help me to contribute to unity and harmony within my church and encourage others to do the same. And thank You for giving me a clearer focus for today, both in my prayers and in whatever else You call me to do.

Read 1 Corinthians 9:3–14. Look for ways to pray for and support my church leaders.


No comments: