February 3, 2023

Exalting the Lord — His Way . . .

 

After reading that survey yesterday about what people say makes them happy, I’ve had several thoughts. One item on the list was ‘being in control of my own life’ and while the attitude of going our own way rather than toward God is the root of sin, there are people in the world in slavery. The NT has much to say about the godly response of Christians who are slaves, however enslaving people is also sin. What then is an acceptable form of slavery? In Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi, he said that he and Timothy were servants or bond-slaves of Jesus Christ.

It is interesting that evil spirits knew this. As Paul and his companions were going to a place of prayer . . .

We were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. She followed Paul and us, crying out, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.” And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it came out that very hour. (Acts 16:16–18)

Her words were correct, but their source was not the Holy Spirit. Why would a demon do this?

On the other hand, Paul’s goal was to exalt Christ and tell others the gospel. When he was in jail, he said:

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice. (Philippians 1:15–18)

The slave girl’s words annoyed him in contrast to those who preached to hurt him? Her words came from an evil spirit. This makes me wonder about cults and false teachers, even Christian preachers who use the right words with the wrong motives. Also, were these evil spirits trying to create the impression that they had the same interest in exalting Christ as did Paul? This is a lie!

There are many enemies of the gospel including those who twist it, those who preach it with false motives for personal gain, and those who are demonically influenced to make their evil motives seem good. I will not name names, yet some of these enemies are prominent, and draw large crowds in which some may actually be saved, but they are also making money and enjoying their power.

In contrast to the lifestyle and motivation of these enemies, the Lord said of Paul, “He is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.” (Acts 9:15–16) Paul was a slave of a different kind, not to money, power, or personal gain. In fact, he gave up much:

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain . . . . But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death . . . Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. (Philippians 1:21; 3:7–12)

This is profound. Paul exemplifies true slavery as well as true joy. He wrote from jail. His life was filled with struggles and yet his desire to exalt Christ gave him endurance in trials. His goal remained, even when facing Satan’s tactics to appear as ‘an angel of light’ or when others tried to out-preach him while he was in prison. His focus was to glorify Jesus and share the Gospel, not a false Jesus, not a false gospel, and not with self-centered motives. I need to be discerning of teachers and speakers on radio and television, and who write books. I also need to watch that my motives and actions line up with truth and never find their source in the world’s notions, the flesh’s selfishness, or the devil’s lies.

Lord Jesus, I am blessed to understand that You want my attitude and actions to line up with Your will. ‘God-talk’ is not always about God. False teaching is subtle and everywhere. The enemy and his cohorts disguise themselves and try to look ‘Christian’ to deceive people. May You keep me from all that, that I might glorify You.

MORE: Read Exodus 15:1–21 and Psalm 99 looking for ways I can exalt the Lord.

 

No comments: