February 17, 2023

Defeating the thief . . .

 

This week has been filled with unexpected problems and many interruptions. Most of them robbed me of inner joy. My stomach sometimes churned in my impatience to get past each one and on with a ‘normal’ schedule. I realized some of this was a test: would I be patient and content no matter what? My test scores were not too high.

Maturity is measured by how far a person gets from a baby’s ‘I want what I want when I want it.’ The next step is learning delayed gratitude or dropping the ‘when’ and being willing to wait. However, Christian maturity involves dropping the ‘what’ and being willing to let the sovereign God use all things, even problems and interruptions, for His purpose: to transform my attitudes and life.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son . . . . (Romans 8:28–29)

God taught me these verses and this principle early in my Christian life. However, how easily I forget. I forget His goal and forget this principle also:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)

I forget that trials are tests and that the test is to produce steadfast patience. My impatience gets me an F on the test, and it gets repeated until I start getting a better grade. This week, the repetition stressed the importance in God’s mind that I should grow up and be more like this:

I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that . . . you were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:10–13)

Today’s devotional lists some joy-thieves: willful sin, prayerlessness, fear, self-centeredness, focusing on circumstances, and lack of forgiveness are the main culprits with dissatisfaction and ingratitude being the most common. We live in a culture where health, wealth, and prosperity create expectations that take our eyes off God and place them solidly on ‘I want what I want’ even if we are willing to wait for it.

While the author focuses on preferences rather than necessities, I’m thinking about what I really want. Is it a life without phone calls, or without cries for advice or my help? Of course not. For these I should be thankful. But what about computer problems and the desire for a quick fix so I can do my thing instead of helping others understand why their PC is not working right? I should be thankful that God gave me experience to help, not be frustrated at the nerds who create complex software.

Paul’s words are both refreshing and a rebuke: “I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am” makes no demands on God, only tell me to grow up. Whether the day is ‘normal’ or ‘nutty’ should not matter to a mature person. I need to be satisfied and thankful, able to see that in the tests are blessings to help me be more like Him. Jesus was not a whiner, and His attitude was, “Not my will, but thine be done.”

Jesus, Your Word says this realization that I can “do all things” through You is a secret, a mystery that is part of Your will but must be revealed to us. We are sinners who want what we want. I confess this has described me this week and ask You to produce in me a joy and contentment that transcends circumstances. I know people You bless in this way regarding far more serious matters than interruptions — that don’t affect my whole life, just my schedule. Obviously, You had a purpose for coming to earth, but You did not make up a daily to-do list. Help me see unplanned things as Your will for my day rather than resent their appearing to upset my plans. May I learn contentment and be thankful, and learn to deal with such things in a way that gives You glory.

Read 1 Kings 18:1–19:8. What did God do for Elijah when he was overwhelmed with his circumstances?

 

No comments: