August 7, 2024

The greatest satisfaction

A friend asked for prayer. She is being mistreated at work and yet other jobs do not seem open to her. At the same time, she wants a better job and to be happy at her work. This happened once before. She abandoned her job for something she liked better, but again is not satisfied.

I’ve been praying about this even though I told her that the Lord usually does not tell me His will for others. This is for her to seek. She says she is, but her desire for change and to get out of the situations at her current work are strong. I’ve not had the same experience but realize how strong “I-wants” can render me somewhat deaf to the Lord’s voice and instructions.

Thoughts came to mind. One was from these verses:

But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. (Luke 6:27–36)
Of course this is impossible without being filled with the Spirit and relying on Christ. But would these commands go over her head? Perhaps. Then today’s reading made one statement and my heart said a hearty ‘amen’ to this:
Nothing can really satisfy the hunger of the soul but Christ.
How true — and it hits the heart. When I’m dissatisfied or complaining about my lot in life, what is it that I really want? Is it change? We go look at the lovely lottery homes each year and sometimes I’m so taken with one that I want to win it. But is that what I really want? I finally figured out that what appeals to me is the lack of clutter, the simplicity of decor. I need to purge the place I am in rather than move to another house that has no clutter — I would just clutter it up and want another house. Besides, being content is a vital part of faith.

My friend wants to be happy in her work, joyful with her lot in life, yet I know as the writer of today’s devotional reading knows, that the deepest joy in life is not about a job, or anything else. It is about feasting on Jesus, receiving our joy and the ability to be content from Him, regardless of our situation. He says…
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9–10)
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. (Philippians 4:11)
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)
PRAY: Jesus, You are the source of joy and contentment given to us from Your Holy Spirit as we rely on You and are filled with Your Spirit. If I turn to what I think I want or need, satisfaction and contentment elude me and all Your children. My prayer for my friend is that she seeks You rather than running to whatever appeals to her. Any delight will not last until she turns again to You as the only One who can satisfy her soul.


No comments: