August 31, 2024

Being Thankful

The devotional writer must have been having a bad day, or does not spend much time with godly people. The passage used is:

And the people complained in the hearing of the Lord about their misfortunes, and when the Lord heard it, his anger was kindled, and the fire of the Lord burned among them and consumed some outlying parts of the camp. (Numbers 11:1)
And the comment is that “Christians as a body are a thankless set…. a great many not only fail to give thanks, but they do exactly the opposite and allow themselves instead to complain about God’s dealings with them. Instead of looking for His goodness, they seem to delight in picking out His alleged shortcomings and think they show a spirit of discernment in criticizing His laws and His ways.”

This may have been true in the author’s circles, but it is not my experience. When God’s dealings seem harsh to the Christians I know, there is much prayer to understand and to ask God to either deal with the problem or ask that His will is done. Thanks may not be given for the problem, yet most of them find something to be thankful for concerning whatever issue that is giving them concern.

Some of this depends on the preaching heard. If God is exalted and His love for us is stressed, if He is praised for His wisdom and grace, and the fact of our need for mercy is stressed, I hear less of “I deserve better” attitudes and more thankfulness for His goodness, even in trials.

Examples come to mind. A dear friend died in her sleep. It was sudden and without warning. The family is devastated with grief at this loss, yet they are thankful that she did not suffer in sickness, and thankful that she is with Jesus.

Another friend has a relative whose husband decided to leave her and his children for another woman. This is a terrible experience for this woman, yet she has turned to a deeper reliance on Christ and is thankful for that relationship and how He is taking care of her in her pain. Her attitude is not bitterness and complaining.

Personally, I have had times of grumbling, yet the Spirit reminds me that my attitude is actually an expression of “I think I know what is good for me better than God does” or “God is ignoring me” or some such thinking that dishonors Him. This is sinful and so far from being true that I must confess it as sin. Being thankful follows, thankful that He is who He is and that He knows what He is doing, that He is wanting the best for me and will use this to transform me into the image of His Son, and it has a good purpose. Nothing can separate me from His love.

Yesterday I sang “I’d rather have Jesus…” a song that compares the value of Him with all that the world offers or that my sinful heart might crave. He is all that I need. To not be thankful is a grievous sin, something to confess. If others are not thankful, me pointing that out as a sin might also be the same critical spirit that I am critical of!

PRAY: Jesus, I woke in the night and didn’t sleep quickly yet You spoke to my heart during that time. I also feel tired this morning but will be able to rest as we drive out of town to visit family. That is to be thanked. I could make a long list of Your goodness, and even how You use the tough stuff for my good. Lack of answered prayer builds patience. Sorrow and loss draw me closer to You. Struggles remind me that I am needy and that You are all I need. And I am thankful that You keep revealing that You are indeed enough — Thank You!!


No comments: