August 11, 2024

Weakness is my strong point?

 

Today’s reading begins with: “One of the laws of life is that all plants must yield fruit after their own kind. I must be content, therefore, to be the type of plant and bear the type of fruit the divine Husbandman pleases. We do not always like to be what God has made us to be.”

This speaks of spiritual gifts and the list in Romans 12 where Christians are told to act on who they are. The NT sometimes relates this to body parts too. Not everyone has the same gifts nor bears the same spiritual fruit, we are to recognize what God wants from us and realize that while all Christians can bear fruit using every gift, the dominant one or two shape our ministry and even our personality.

Years ago when teaching a class on spiritual gifts, one of the women in the class was obviously an encourager, sometimes called the mouth of the Body. This gift points to the positive and to possibilities to help others move forward in their faith and ministry. However, she decided she was a prophetic discerner, a gift that discerns the will of God, who sees things in black and white terms, and who prays much. This decision meant that she wound up being fruitless in both areas.

The reading for today warns against trying to be something we are not. While the Holy Spirit can enable a sympathetic ear at a funeral or in a hospital room, I know my main gift is not compassion. I do want folks to feel good, but am more focused on helping them think right, to have their minds renewed so their comfort and sense of well-being is rooted in faith and God’s Word rather than in sympathy and hugs.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
These and other verses about who God is and His grace and power to transform our thinking are a focus for me and fuel my desire to move other Christians into thinking God’s way instead of the world’s way. I know that when they do, the contentment they seek will be there and it will help them through great trials.

The thing about fruit-bearing and using spiritual gifts is knowing that divine strength will be made perfect in human weakness — but who likes to feel weak? Paul didn’t. He had a problem and wanted the Lord to fix it, but finally learned why he felt so needy…
So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)
The reading says that this law of spiritual life means our part is to supply the weakness, whereas God’s part is to supply the strength. He does this in an almost mysterious way so that I feel my weakness but others see His strength. If a berry bush could talk, it might tell how bearing fruit makes it feel tired — but all we see are the delicious berries!

PRAY: Jesus, I sometimes desire to take Your part and try to be strong. But I know that life in You does not work that way lest. I wind up being discouraged and fruitless. Human and worldly thinking assumes strength to be effective and that I must be confident and filled with courage, not weak and helpless. But the Word of God says that my weakness is my greatest strength. This is an important lesson. Keep me in Your classroom!



No comments: